QA/QC Padawan (1-year paid internship)
Boston, MA /
Internships and Co-ops /
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
To realize our dream of building a next-generation organism company, we must ensure that quality is maintained during all stages of our projects, through to the successful deployment of our organisms and processes. Therefore, we’re seeking a QA/QC Padawan with chemical laboratory experience to aid in defining product specification and maintaining a Quality Management System. You’ll also help to ensure that Ginkgo, our customers, and our contract manufacturers have the necessary methods and processes in place, so that we maintain compliance across any required regulatory standard and consistently meet the defined product and process specifications.
Ginkgo’s Padawan program is a 1-year paid internship program, designed to give recent graduates an opportunity to experience Ginkgo for a longer period of time than a traditional internship. Upon the program’s completion, Padawans are reevaluated for potential full-time opportunities at Ginkgo.
- Execute and validate analytical methods, focusing primarily on accurate and precise quantitation
- Follow and review SOPs and other guidance documents, and assist with executing technology transfer
- Monitor, analyze, and characterize in-process and finished product samples
- Support the analysis of pilot and commercial scale fermentation and downstream processing, as well as the validation of process performance at key project stages during lab-scale development
- Perform QA/QC data collection, data integration, and data archiving, with the use of Ginkgo’s proprietary LIMS (laboratory information management system)
- Maintain analytical instruments and associated maintenance logs, troubleshooting instrument malfunctions as needed
- Assist in maintaining quality assurance in Ginkgo’s Clinical Laboratory, specifically with regards with CLIA and FDA EUA regulations, as needed
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- BS in chemistry, chemical engineering, or related field
- Working knowledge of or hands-on experience with analytical instruments, such as GC, GCMS, HPLC, LCMS, FTIR, UV-Vis, and/or NMR
- Experience with analytical data analysis in a laboratory setting
- Ability to work well within a team in a fast-paced environment, and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication, problem solving, and data analysis skills
- Knowledge of technical and quality requirements in the manufacturing of biotech products, including familiarity with GMP, HACCP, and/or CLIA requirements, a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks Provides Support on Process Optimization to Moderna for COVID-19 Response (PRNewswire)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.