Senior Software Engineer
Ginkgo Bioworks is YCombinator's first biotech company ... we were personally recruited by Sam Altman to join YC: http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/19/sam-altman-on-his-inaugural-batch-of-companies-as-y-combinators-new-head/
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. We engineer organisms to address fundamental challenges the world is facing today. Ginkgo bioengineers make use of an in-house organism foundry to engineer new organisms for making natural products, pharmaceuticals, biofuels, and more. We're making the code base, compiler and debugger for life. We're looking for experienced developers interested in architecting the organism design toolchain - the CAD, CAM and CAT tools that will define how bioengineers design organisms at scale.
- Design tools and workflows for designing genes, metabolic pathways and genome modifications
- Architect software layers to translate design and experiment requests by bioengineers to instrument instructions to assemble DNA, modify genomes, culture cells and prepare assay samples
- Develop algorithms for data analysis of NGS and mass spec data
- Develop machine learning approaches to correlate experimental data with genetic designs of strains
- Develop data repositories that correlate genetic and phenotypic information for Ginkgo's growing collection of genetic parts and strains
- BS, MS or PhD in computer science with 5+ years of industry experience
- Proven track record in full stack development
- Familiarity with biology a plus
- Previous startup experience a plus
- Excited to work hand in hand with the foundry team to architect the next generation of foundry for engineering organisms
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.