Clinical Laboratory Supervisor (Day Shift)
Boston, MA /
Clinical Laboratory Operations /
We’re looking for highly motivated Clinical Laboratory Supervisors to join our team and help build our COVID-19 testing service, Concentric by Ginkgo. We're inspired and heartened by the tremendous public health response to COVID-19, and recognize that a similar scale of effort is needed by the biotech community to find long-term solutions to this crisis. Right now, there's nothing more critical than scaling diagnostics and developing new therapeutics and vaccines. Therefore, we've committed our Foundry platform to supporting research and development efforts for COVID-19, including $25M of free access to our infrastructure.
In particular, testing is needed in order to resume our daily rhythms: communities need testing to reunite their people and culture. Businesses need testing to reopen their offices and provide confidence to their teams and stakeholders. And schools need testing to be able to reconvene their campuses and research communities. To respond to this acute and widespread need for COVID-19 testing, Ginkgo has developed a SARS-CoV-2 screening service designed to provide broader access to COVID-19 diagnostic testing solutions. We’re building increased Foundry capacity to support high rates of testing frequency for our clients, offering an end-to-end, onsite testing service designed to test large communities of individuals. Performed at high-scale and high-throughput, this additional testing capacity will be essential for organizations, institutions, and companies to be able to reconvene their teams and reopen their communities.
To aid in these efforts, we’re seeking Clinical Laboratory Supervisors to help manage our high-complexity CLIA laboratory. With your process-oriented mindset and strong attention to detail, you’ll oversee the lab’s day-to-day operations and maintain the efficiency of a team of Medical Technologists. You’ll also assist in the performance of routing testing, quality control, calibration, maintenance and proficiency testing in accordance with current laboratory procedures. As a member of Ginkgo’s Clinical Laboratory Operations Team, your role will be key to ensuring the success of this important initiative.
Please note: this is a fixed-term contractor role for the day shift in our rotation. Anticipated hours are 8:00am - 8:00pm on a "4 days on / 4 days off" shift schedule (which will require some weekend hours).
- Manage the day-to-day operations of Ginkgo’s high-complexity CLIA laboratory in accordance with clinical laboratory procedures
- Oversee a team of Medical Technologists to ensure maximum accuracy and efficiency
- Plan sample pooling for sequencing instruments
- Track instrument usage and performance
- Remain accessible to clinical testing personnel at all times that testing is performed, providing consultation and helping to resolve technical problems in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Inform the Technical Supervisor and/or Laboratory Director of any problem or issue that affects the reporting of test results
- Assist in evaluating and documenting the training and performance of clinical testing personnel
- Validate and implement process changes and identify new areas for continuous improvement
- Accession received samples into our Laboratory Information Management System
- Perform routing testing, quality control, calibration, maintenance and proficiency testing in accordance with current laboratory procedures
- Utilize liquid handling equipment for NGS library preparation
- Maintain clinical laboratory documentation
- Take corrective action if quality control results are not within acceptable limits
- Document all corrective action taken as indicated in established clinical laboratory procedures
- Perform routine review of all laboratory procedures and update procedures when necessary
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in one of the chemical, physical, or biological sciences (with ASCP Certification strongly preferred)
- Expertise in a variety of molecular biology techniques, with at least 4 years of experience working in a molecular biology clinical laboratory (or other setting relevant to patient testing)
- Experience in the management of clinical laboratory operations, as well as the supervision and training of high-complexity testing personnel
- Strong familiarity with high-throughput automation
- Experience with Illumina and Oxford Nanopore sequencing
- High level of comfort in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Strong level of efficiency and self-motivation to complete tasks accurately and on time
- Extremely process-oriented mindset, with acute attention to detail
- Strong drive to help our project succeed, keeping in mind Ginkgo’s mission and the customers we’re supporting
- Ability to work the day shift in our rotation (8:00am - 8:00pm on a "4 days on / 4 days off" shift schedule), which will require some weekend hours
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks Provides Support on Process Optimization to Moderna for COVID-19 Response (PRNewswire)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.