We are passionate about engineering organisms at Ginkgo Bioworks. We're guessing you are too.
We believe that engineering organisms requires an integrated, industrialized technology pipeline. To address this need, we recently launched Bioworks1: our foundry for engineering organisms. Bioworks1 includes custom CAD/CAM software, robotic automation, latest genetic tools, high resolution LC-MS, automated fermentation and much more. We built it for people like you.
We want to hire you because you believe that even though biology remains frustratingly unpredictable and Bioworks1 only scratches the surface of what we need to engineer biology, you can deliver an engineered organism to spec on time - no excuses. You believe this because you have successfully engineered an organism start to finish and it *worked*. This was a herculean task that took a team of highly trained PhDs years to complete. Using Bioworks1, we want you to do that every 6 months.
If you want to drive and execute on the design, construction, testing and analysis of microbes for the production of 2-5 related cultured ingredients with a small team & Bioworks1, please apply.
- Genetic design of strains to optimize production of cultured ingredients of interest
- Developing suitable cultivation conditions and assays for screening the performance of your microbes
- Testing the metabolic and physiological performance of your microbes
- Data analysis to identify limitations in production of cultured ingredients
- Genetic re-design of strains based on the above
- Rolling up your sleeves, getting in the lab and debugging any of the above as needed
- Ph.D. or equivalent
- Previous success engineering at least one organism
- Deep understanding of microbial metabolism
- Prior experience with metabolic engineering of industrial yeasts or prokaryotes a plus
- Prior experience in engineering secondary metabolism or natural products biosynthesis a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.