Bayer and Ginkgo Joint Venture
Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks are joining forces, forming a new company that will build technology to enable microbes to improve key properties of agricultural crops. The company will have laboratories in both Boston, MA, and West Sacramento, CA, where we will leverage the existing organism engineering and plant biologics capabilities of the parent companies. Primary corporate operations will be carried out at Ginkgo Bioworks' headquarters in the Boston Seaport.
We are looking for seasoned scientific leadership to help drive development of new programs at the Joint Venture. We are especially interested in scientists who have a track record of innovation, and are interested in inventing and applying new technology, tools, and strategies to improve and deploy microbes for agriculture.
We want to hire you because you care about developing new biological products for agriculture that are sustainable and deliver meaningful value to growers and consumers. You love to work in an interdisciplinary environment where it takes a team of talented and driven scientists with very different skill sets to build microbes that lead to dramatic improvements in plant performance and environmental health. You have experienced more failure than you care to admit in your scientific career; you are resolved to leverage access to Ginkgo’s foundries to make engineering biology more predictable and fail less often, while also taking steps to ensure that our microbes succeed outside of a controlled laboratory environment
- Develop a research program and technical strategy to achieve an unmet need in agriculture
- Manage a diverse team of scientists and engineers to iteratively design, build, and test high performance microbes in soil and plants
- Develop novel strategies to ensure scalability of laboratory strain performance from microwell plates to soil and plants
- Master custom software to become a proficient user of the Ginkgo foundries
- Program management to drive program progress, manage complex multi-site and multidisciplinary research, and meet program milestones
- Mentor junior scientists and colleagues to help build a company culture that is creative, focused, collaborative, and driven
- Ph.D. or equivalent plus 5+ years industry experience
- Previous success engineering strategies in microorganisms to improve complex microbial pathways and microbe performance
- Prior program management experience including timeline and milestone management
- Expertise and/or familiarity with microbial physiology, metabolism, and plant interactions
To learn more about the company: https://www.wired.com/story/with-designer-bacteria-crops-could-one-day-fertilize-themselves
We are building a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with scientists and engineers from all walks of life. We can’t afford to leave any talent untapped. It is the policy of the JV to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.