Computational Biologist & Yeast Geneticist, Design Team
Boston, MA /
Foundry: Design /
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer our world’s growing global challenges in agriculture, health, energy, food, materials, and more. We make use of our highly-automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to deliver technologically advanced solutions across multiple industries.
We're looking for folks who have experience in rational design of genetic systems, but also understand the benefits of mutation, evolution, and selection in building better yeast strains; who are excited to add their own expertise to an interdisciplinary team of bench scientists, computational biologists, data scientists, and software engineers to develop world-changing tools to engineering biology; and who are eager to learn a few new things along the way, too.
If this sounds like a match, we’re eager to meet you.
- Design high-throughput experiments that leverage Ginkgo’s Foundries, with the aims of solving difficult biological problems, and uncovering new biological design principles
- Support Ginkgo’s organism engineering teams with your technical expertise in yeast genetics, designing megabases of DNA for each project
- Collaborate with stakeholders throughout Ginkgo to create next-generation synthetic biology tools — e.g. algorithms, data structures, predictive models, software pipelines, or experimental approaches — that yield step changes in our ability to engineer biology
- Independently troubleshoot technically complex problems, and propose solutions or experimental plans to resolve or correct for them
- Maintain high-quality documentation of your work and discoveries, in the forms of written reports, technical presentations, electronic lab notebooks, internal database records, code comments, and software documentation
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- PhD or equivalent experience in genetics, genomics, systems biology, biochemistry, computational biology, quantitative biology, or another relevant field. Interdisciplinary work is strongly encouraged
- 2+ years of professional experience (grad school counts) engineering hemiascomycetous yeasts. Additional organisms are a bonus, but not required
- Facility with programming in at least one language (Python preferred). Experience with best practices for collaborative software development (version control systems, test-driven development, good documentation habits) are strongly preferred
- First-hand technical experience in at least two of the following areas: bioinformatics; sequence analysis; comparative genomics; phylogenetics; NGS analysis; statistics; probabilistic modeling; machine learning; population genetics; metabolic engineering; or quantitative modeling of biological systems
- Demonstrated ability to meet the demands of multiple concurrent projects
- Strong curiosity of, and comfort working in, areas of biology previously unknown to you and, at times, your peers
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
This food tech startup just raised $90 million to make it easier to invent new plant-based meats (Fast Company)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.