Production Operations Engineer
Boston, MA /
Information Technology /
We're looking for motivated Production Operations Engineers to join our team and help build our COVID-19 testing service, Concentric by Ginkgo. We're inspired and heartened by the tremendous public health response to COVID-19, and recognize that a similar scale of effort is needed by the biotech community to find long-term solutions to this crisis. Right now, there's nothing more critical than scaling diagnostics and developing new therapeutics and vaccines. Therefore, we've committed our Foundry platform to supporting research and development efforts for COVID-19, including $25M of free access to our infrastructure.
In particular, testing is needed in order to resume our daily rhythms: communities need testing to reunite their people and culture. Businesses need testing to reopen their offices and provide confidence to their teams and stakeholders. And schools need testing to be able to reconvene their campuses and research communities. To respond to this acute and widespread need for COVID-19 testing, Ginkgo has developed a SARS-CoV-2 screening service designed to provide broader access to COVID-19 diagnostic testing solutions. We’re building increased Foundry capacity to support high rates of testing frequency for our clients, offering an end-to-end, onsite testing service designed to test large communities of individuals. Performed at high-scale and high-throughput, this additional testing capacity will be essential for organizations, institutions, and companies to be able to reconvene their teams and reopen their communities.
To ensure the success of this important initiative, we’re seeking Production Operations Engineers to provide front-end support for our high-complexity CLIA laboratory. Working directly with our Software, DevOps, and IT Teams, you’ll assist with reporting and troubleshooting any issues with our production systems. You’ll also help to create dashboards, scripts, and automations to monitor system health and analyze system performance data. With your excellent problem-solving skills and process-oriented mindset, you’ll be a key contributor in keeping our operations running smoothly.
- We are seeking both L1 and L2 engineers to fill these roles, and encourage those with all levels of relevant experience to apply.
- This is a fixed-term contractor role with a rotating shift schedule, which will require evening and weekend hours.
- Provide front-end support for our high-complexity CLIA laboratory
- Establish root causes of application errors, escalating serious concerns to engineering team members and ensuring issue resolution
- Actively participate in post mortem discussions
- Manage detailed records of configuration changes
- Maintain runbooks
- Create dashboards, scripts, and automations to monitor system health and analyze data
- Propose solutions to engineering problems
- Collaborate with engineering team members to transfer new services into production
- Consult with the Software Team, internal users, and external clients to improve application performance
- Assist with the development and maintenance of production software
- Provide IT Helpdesk support in relation to these production systems
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Associate’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or related field
- Experience as a NOC analyst or relevant network/production support role (at least 1 year of experience for L1 engineers, and 3 years of experience for L2 engineers)
- Prior experience with life sciences production support, and particularly supporting processes for clinical laboratories, strongly preferred
- Strong aptitude for troubleshooting problems that occur in a production environment
- Ability to write scripts that effectively analyze data and resolve problems
- Devotion and enthusiasm for providing excellent user/customer support
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with multidisciplinary teams in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Strong level of efficiency and self-motivation to complete tasks accurately and on time
- Extremely process-oriented mindset, with acute attention to detail
- Strong drive to help our project succeed, keeping in mind Ginkgo’s mission and the customers we’re supporting
- Ability to work a rotating shift schedule that requires evening and weekend hours
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks Provides Support on Process Optimization to Moderna for COVID-19 Response (PRNewswire)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.