General, Finance & Administration
We are passionate about engineering organisms at Ginkgo Bioworks to address fundamental challenges the world is facing today. We are looking for a like-minded individual to manage our contracts. The Contract Manager will have prior experience working with life sciences companies where they have exuded a sense of urgency and passion for their work while contributing to the company goals. He/she will be part of a small team that is responsible for drafting and negotiating a wide range of contracts including confidentiality agreements, material transfer agreements, consulting agreements and vendor agreements. This position requires strong communication and project management skills and a great deal of resourcefulness and autonomy in accomplishing a wide variety of tasks. The Contract Manager will collaborate across the organization and will have the opportunity to help us make biology easier to engineer!
- Draft and negotiate a high volume of contracts, including without limitation master services agreements and work orders, consulting agreements, confidentiality agreements, material transfer agreements, supply agreements, and research agreements.
- Interface with internal management and external parties to gather specifications and terms necessary for contract drafting and negotiations.
- Actively help implement and manage contract management tools and other technology adopted by the Legal Department. Help ensure the contract repository is accurate and up to date.
- Help implement new policies and procedures.
- Train internal clients on policies, procedures and systems as requested.
- Work closely with members of Finance and other departments to help ensure compliance with cross-functional policies and procedures.
- Help develop and update contract templates, training materials, and relevant portions of the Legal Department’s intranet site content.
- Serve as a liaison with outside counsel, as requested.
- Conduct research, as needed.
- Complete special projects such as collaborating on department-wide or company-wide initiatives, as requested.
- Experience with intellectual property (patents, trademarks & copyrights) management and patent docketing a plus.
- 3+ years of experience drafting and negotiating a variety of contracts relevant to the life sciences industry
- Prior in-house experience as a member of a legal/patent department in a biotechnology or pharmaceuticals company strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- Strong contract drafting and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, problem-solve and operate in a fast paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong professionalism and interpersonal skills
- Experience with contract management systems a plus
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously and still meet high quality and timeliness standards under pressure
- Team player with a commitment to developing strong collaborative relationships with other members of the department, clients and cross-functional teams
- Solution-oriented, positive, “can do” approach
- Comfortable in a results-driven, highly accountable environment where you can make an impact
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and be reliable and responsive
- Ability to be flexible and willing to accept new responsibilities as needed
- Commitment to proactively seeking, designing and implementing improvements and engaging with appropriate stakeholders to propose and implement solutions
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We have been named #7 on CNBC's most disruptive companies list for 2 years in a row.
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.