Protein Biochemist / Enzymologist
Ginkgo is building an industrialized foundry for organism engineering. Our first foundry, Bioworks1, launched in Spring 2015. We designed Bioworks1 to be capable of delivering many organisms to customers in many markets. Already, we're using Bioworks1 to concurrently develop 10+ organisms across multiple species and cultured ingredients. You can learn more about cultured ingredients here http://ginkgobioworks.com/markets/cultured-ingredients/
Key to the design of organisms for the production of cultured ingredients are the biosynthetic enzymes that make these natural products. We are seeking protein biochemists interested in tackling the formidable challenge of developing our parts set for biosynthesis across microbial metabolism. As you develop this enzyme toolkit, you'll be tackling the full gamut of technical challenges: expression, solubility, localization, activity, substrate specificity, product profile and more. As such, you'll need to bring the complete repertoire of solutions to bear on these problems from synthetic metagenomics to directed evolution to rational protein engineering and more.
- Functional expression of enzyme families and classes
- Debugging and troubleshooting issues in functional expression including but not limited to expression, solubility localization and enzyme activity
- Apply DOE approaches to optimize enzyme expression and function
- Apply rational protein engineering, directed evolution, synthetic metagenomics and other approaches for enzyme redesign
- PhD or equivalent
- Deep experience in enzyme catalysis
- Deep experience in functional enzyme expression in microbial hosts
- Experience in protein engineering or directed evolution
- Experience in natural products chemistry and/or secondary metabolism a plus
- Experience with HTP assays a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.