Head of Process Engineering
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
To realize our dream of building a next-generation organism company, each of our organisms needs to be successfully deployed. Ensuring that the deployed product reproducibly meets customer and market specification in an economically viable process is critical to Ginkgo’s success. We are seeking a Head of Process Engineering to lead a team of engineers in designing, developing, and deploying product recovery and purification processes for a variety of products at several scales and sites. The successful candidate will also be expected to proactively interact with Ginkgo’s program teams to optimally solve problems through the powerful combination of biology and engineering.
The ideal candidate is passionate about process development, has demonstrated success in leading and managing downstream process development from early to late stage development, and is able to interface with and incorporate information from multiple disciplines, both within Ginkgo and externally.
- Provide strategic leadership for process development and engineering within the organization, and as needed for the expansion of internal and external capabilities
- Direct and develop a high performance team of process engineers that interface efficiently and effectively with Ginkgo’s program teams, the foundry, and other functions within Deployment
- Ensure the team delivers robust, scalable, and cost-effective processes across a variety of products, that meet or exceed customer and market specifications on agreed-upon timelines
- Determine and address (through design and build out as necessary) capital project needs at external manufacturing facilities
- Ensure the team has resources and capabilities required to deliver on program needs
- Work with Ginkgo’s foundry to accelerate process development timelines, as appropriate
- Travel up to 50% for off-site process development, design, and scale-up activities
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Bachelors degree with at least 10 years of industrial experience (or PhD with 5 years of industrial experience)
- Prior experience and demonstrated success in managing research, development, and deployment of downstream processes
- Expertise in a variety of downstream unit operations
- Ability to identify technical problems and suggest resolutions
- Team player with the ability to work with and incorporate input from people across a range of disciplines
- Strong, open, and transparent written and verbal communication skills
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
This food tech startup just raised $90 million to make it easier to invent new plant-based meats (Fast Company)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.