Foundry: DNA Synthesis
We are passionate about engineering organisms at Ginkgo Bioworks. We're guessing you are too.
We believe that engineering organisms requires an integrated, industrialized technology pipeline. Over the past few years that's what we've been building at Ginkgo. Our first foundry Bioworks1 includes robotic automation, novel DNA assembly biochemistry, custom CAD/CAM software, high resolution LC-MS, and much more. We built it for people like you.
We are looking for Manufacturing Operators with the right combination of molecular biology expertise, manufacturing and automation experience, and can-do attitude to join our rapidly growing team. The Manufacturing Operator is expected to execute, sustain, and continuously improve Ginkgo’s synthesis processes through application of manufacturing best practices. The positions are for a weekend shift so you must be able to work Saturday and Sunday.
- Operate automated fluid systems and equipment in strict accordance with current GMP’s, SOP’s and safety guidelines.
- Prepare master mixes, buffers, and other reagents necessary for production.
- Perform analytical quality control tests on work in progress and finished product.
- Participate in the transfer, validation, and implementation of new processes and products into manufacturing.
- Ability to work weekend shift a requirement.
- AS/BS degree in Biology, Biochemistry or Biomedical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated expertise with molecular biology protocols (DNA Amplification and Modification, Gene Synthesis, Next Generation Sequencing, Bacteria Culturing & Plasmid Prep) and understanding of related reagents.
- Manufacturing experience with automated fluid handling equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact with customers, fellow employees, and senior management.
- Ability to work independently and as part of team in a fluid, fast-paced environment. Demonstrated use of SPC, DOE, and Failure Analysis techniques preferred.
- Exposure to Six-Sigma and Lean Manufacturing a plus.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.