General, Finance & Administration
We are passionate about engineering organisms at Ginkgo Bioworks. We're guessing you are too.
We are looking for someone to contribute to the service of the labs where we engineer organisms to perform useful new functions. We want to transform genetic engineering into an integrated, industrialized technology pipeline, and our labs are the center of our work. To realize our vision, we recently launched Bioworks2: our second-generation foundry for engineering organisms. Bioworks2 includes custom CAD/CAM software, robotic automation, the latest genetic and genome engineering tools, high resolution LC-MS, automated fermentation and much more.
If you are thoughtful, meticulous, well-organized, energetic, collaborative and want to learn about and provide support for a critical set of processes within Bioworks1 and Bioworks2 geared toward the high-throughput genetic engineering of microbes, and potentially contribute to the design and execution of the state-of the-art next generation Biowork3 facilities, please apply.
- Prepare solid and liquid microbial media on a daily basis, including standard items as well as custom recipes.
- Perform glassware washing and sterilization on a daily basis.
- Prepare special reagent solutions as needed.
- Maintain and keep track of lab chemical and reagent inventories.
- Supply chain management of laboratory consumables.
- Associate’s degree with 1 year laboratory experience required; Bachelor’s degree in Biology or related discipline preferred.
- Basic computer skills required: word processing and spreadsheets, experience with computer databases preferred.Experience operating basic manual (required) and automated laboratory equipment (preferred).
- Must be capable of organizing work, multi-tasking and performing multiple functions that may change over time.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to resolve problems required.
- Must be able to perform regular lifting and carrying of heavy items, including weights up to 30lbs.
- Must be receptive to instruction and demonstrate aptitude for learning new technologies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Must work well independently and also as part of a team.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.