Foundry Operations Engineer - Fermentation
Boston, MA /
Foundry: Fermentation /
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
To realize our dream of building a next-generation organism company, each of these organisms needs to be deployed to customers. We’re seeking a Foundry Operations Engineer -Fermentation who is excited to tackle the ambitious challenge of transitioning multiple organisms from microtiter plates to bench-scale fermentation through scale-up and commercial-scale manufacturing of ingredients with our customers.
With your strong passion for microbial fermentation and process development, you’ll work hand-in-hand with Ginkgo’s Fermentation Engineers to verify that Ginkgo organisms perform to spec for customers.
Please note that this position is for the weekend shift in our rotation. Anticipated hours are 8:00am - 6:00pm on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, plus one additional weekday. Daily start time is flexible and can be discussed, however.
- Execute fermentation processes across multiple Ginkgo organisms, with a focus on filamentous fungi, bacteria, and yeast as directed by senior engineers
- Maintain responsibility for setup and breakdown of fermentation equipment
- Aid in the preparation of media and other required reagents
- Collect and process samples
- Enact basic lab maintenance, including stocking and equipment staging
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- B.S. or equivalent experience with 1+ years relevant industry experience
- Comfortable working with limited direct supervision
- Knowledge of sterile technique
- Experience with different fermentation platforms
- Ability to work well with a team in a fast paced-environment
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks Provides Support on Process Optimization to Moderna for COVID-19 Response (PRNewswire)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.