Ginkgo is building an industrialized foundry for organism engineering. Our first generation organism foundry, Bioworks1, launched in Spring 2015. We designed Bioworks1 to be capable of delivering many organisms to customers in many markets. Already, we're using Bioworks1 to concurrently develop 10+ organisms across multiple species and products.
We're looking for automation engineers who are excited by the challenges of scaling our foundry. We're designing Bioworks2 to dwarf Bioworks1 capacity both in terms of number of strains engineered and the diversity of species & products it can handle. It's an enormous challenge, and we need people who are eager to get started. You'll be working hand in hand with biologists, software developers and other engineers to co-develop the wetware, hardware and software infrastructure that underpin Bioworks2.
- Developing automated experimental workflows genetic engineering processes, strain cultivation, sample preparation, and NGS/mass spec analysis.
- Writing software to drive operation of laboratory instruments and robotics.
- Writing software for data acquisition, retrieval and processing
- Validating and QC'ing automated protocols.
- BS or MS in engineering or equivalent
- Experience with one or more of laboratory automation systems, experimental workflow development, automated liquid handling processes, and software development for scheduling and controlling equipment.
- Familiarity with biology a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.