Antibody Protein Engineer
Boston, MA /
Foundry: Design /
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer in every sense of the term. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
As an Antibody Protein Engineer, you will help establish a platform needed for cutting-edge antibody engineering technologies to enable high throughput design, purification and characterization of antibody/antigen interactions. Bringing your own expertise in protein engineering, structural biology, biochemistry and computational biology to Ginkgo, you will join a team of interdisciplinary scientists who are at the forefront of developing novel methods for engineering biology.
- Leading protein and antibody discovery and engineering
- Coordinating recombinant expression and purification of antibodies and proteins
- Running Pharmacokinetics and related assays for characterization
- Utilizing display platforms (Yeast, phage, mRNA)
- Developing biochemical and cell-based reporter assays for antibody selection
- Managing bio-physical characterization of antibodies
- Exuding a passion for problem solving via biochemistry, structural biology, protein engineering or computational biology methods
- Leveraging automation to scale experimental output
- Teaching and mentoring junior research associates and interns
- Independently analyzing and presenting data to scientific teams
- Maintaining strong commitment and accountability for completion of projects in accordance with team plans
Experience and Capabilities
- PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, protein/antibody engineering, immunology, or related field
- Hands-on experience in antibody engineering
- Experience in antibody library designs and testing using one of the display platforms (Yeast, Phage, mRNA)
- Understanding of intracellular protein-protein interactions using reporter systems
- Knowledge of transient and stable expression of proteins in HEK293 and CHO cells for antibody production and purification
- Outstanding problem-solving methods, with the ability to multi-task and learn new techniques
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Meticulous record keeping skills, with in-depth attention to detail
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
This food tech startup just raised $90 million to make it easier to invent new plant-based meats (Fast Company)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.