Medical Technologist (Day Shift)
Boston, MA /
Clinical Laboratory Operations /
We're looking for dedicated Medical Technologists to join our team and help build our COVID-19 testing service, Concentric by Ginkgo. This effort is designed to provide broader access to COVID-19 diagnostic testing solutions, and is supported by partners such as Illumina and the National Institutes of Health - including one of the first awards under NIH’s Rapid Acceleration of Diagnostics (RADx) program.
We're inspired and heartened by the tremendous public health response to COVID-19, and recognize that a similar scale of effort is needed by the biotech community to find long-term solutions to this crisis. Therefore, we’re building increased Foundry capacity to support high rates of testing frequency for our clients, offering an end-to-end, onsite testing service designed to test large communities of individuals. Performed at high-scale and high-throughput, this additional testing capacity will be essential for organizations, institutions, and companies to be able to reconvene their teams and reopen their communities.
To aid in these efforts, we’re seeking highly motivated Medical Technologists to perform routine testing in our high-complexity CLIA laboratory. With a strong focus on quality, accuracy, and efficiency, you’ll be responsible for accessioning received samples, and completing quality control, calibration, maintenance, and proficiency testing in accordance with current laboratory procedures. As a member of Ginkgo’s Clinical Laboratory Operations Team, our Medical Technologists will have a key role in ensuring the success of this important initiative.
Please note: this is a fixed-term contractor role for the day shift in our rotation. Anticipated hours are 8:00am - 8:00pm on a "4 days on / 4 days off" shift schedule (which will require some weekend hours).
- Perform routine testing, quality control, calibration, maintenance, and proficiency testing in accordance with clinical laboratory procedures
- Utilize liquid handling equipment for NGS library preparation
- Maintain clinical laboratory documentation
- Assist with the accessioning of received samples into our Laboratory Information Management System, as needed
- Take corrective action if quality control results are not within acceptable limits
- Inform the General Supervisor and/or Technical Supervisor of any problem or issue that affects the reporting of test results
- Document all corrective action taken as indicated in established clinical laboratory procedures
- Perform routine review of all clinical laboratory procedures, and update procedures when necessary
- Oversee inventory and ordering of clinical laboratory supplies
- Document any problems, issues, and/or information that may be necessary for other testing personnel to be aware of in a Communication Log
- Assist in other clinical laboratory duties, as necessary
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in one of the chemical, physical, or biological sciences (with ASCP Certification strongly preferred)
- Expertise in a variety of molecular biology techniques, with at least 1 year of experience working in a molecular biology clinical laboratory (or other setting relevant to patient testing)
- Strong familiarity with high-throughput automation
- Experience with Illumina and Oxford Nanopore sequencing
- High level of comfort in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Strong level of efficiency and self-motivation to complete tasks accurately and on time
- Extremely process-oriented mindset, with acute attention to detail
- Strong drive to help our project succeed, keeping in mind Ginkgo’s mission and the customers we’re supporting
- Ability to work the day shift in our rotation (8:00am - 8:00pm on a "4 days on / 4 days off" shift schedule), which will require some weekend hours
- Ability to perform responsibilities above while standing for extended periods of time
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks Awarded $40MM NIH RADx-ATP Contract to Expand High Throughput SARS-CoV-2 Testing (PR Newswire)
Ginkgo Bioworks Provides Support on Process Optimization to Moderna for COVID-19 Response (PRNewswire)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.