Fermentation Padawan (1 year paid internship)
Internships and Co-ops
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
To realize our dream of building a next-generation organism company, each of these organisms needs to be deployed to customers. We are looking for highly talented and motivated students, excited to tackle the ambitious challenge of transitioning multiple organisms from microtiter plates to bench-scale fermentation, and up through scale-up to commercial manufacturing.
The ideal candidate is a fast learner and critical thinker, with a passion for microbial fermentation and process development.
- Assist with setup and operation of Sartorius ambr250 and ambr15 automated bioreactor systems
- Assist with processing and analysis of fermentation samples
- Apply Design of Experiment methods for strain and process optimization
- Prepare fermentation SOPs
- Communicate results to fellow employees, within the Fermentation team and across functional groups
- BS or MS in chemical engineering, microbiology, or related field
- At least one year laboratory experience
- Strong attention to detail and efficiency in a laboratory setting
- Experience with lab-scale bioreactors or laboratory automation is a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks secures $275 million in Series D, valuing the company at over $1 billion (TechCrunch)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.