Ginkgo’s mission is to make biology easier to engineer. We design, build, and test organisms to address fundamental challenges the world is facing today. Ginkgo bioengineers use our foundry—a custom-built, centralized set of robotic lab equipment and software—to build new organisms for making natural products, pharmaceuticals, biofuels, and more. We're creating the code base, compiler and debugger for biology. We're looking for amazing software Product Managers to help us design and build the best toolchain - the bioinformatics and analysis tools that will define how bioengineers design organisms at scale.
Ginkgo has built a strong set of internal software tools, automation and processes that enable high-throughput genetic engineering across multiple species. We want to make them even better by adding to their capabilities and scaling their performance, while making them easier and more efficient to use. The ideal Product Manager has a passion for synthetic biology and scientific software, a strong understanding of its challenges, and a proven track record for delivering incredible software.
As a Ginkgo software Product Manager you will guide the development of the computational tools that help bioengineers design, build and debug organisms at scale and faster than ever. More specifically, you will:
- Be responsible for a functional area and act as the product owner for 1-2 scrum teams.
- Work on product planning, including short-term release plans and long-term roadmaps for your functional area.
- Stay on top of new computational and software capabilities being developed in the industry and understand how these new technologies may be applied to your functional area.
- Define and track key performance metrics and other measurable success criteria.
- Collect and synthesize user feedback to identify product gaps and define requirements to meet the gaps.
- Work with stakeholders and developers to understand the implications of solution ideas.
- Collaboratively develop the best solutions that can be delivered in a time and cost sensitive manner.
- Build, groom and prioritize the backlog for your functional area.
- Align development teams and stakeholders around the solutions you develop by advocating for them, ensuring their quality, and maintaining user engagement.
- Ensure sufficient documentation for developed solutions.
- One of the following: B.S. or higher degree in biological engineering, synthetic biology, or a related field. OR B.S. or higher degree in computer science or a related field and industry experience with biology, biological engineering, synthetic biology, or a related field.
- 2-5 years of product management experience and proven track record delivering incredible software.
- Demonstrated ability to break down complex problems into actionable steps.
- Experience leading or supporting user research.
- Experience in agile development environment.
- Excited to work with the best scientists and engineers to develop new software tools to solve never-before-seen scientific challenges.
- We are looking for someone who can work on-site in our office in Boston’s exciting Seaport district.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.