Software Product Manager
The 20th century was all about bits and the awesome technology of computers. The 21st century is all about atoms and the incredible technology of biology. Ginkgo is at the forefront of this revolution, and were personally recruited by Sam Altman to become YCombinator's first biotech company.
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. We design, build, and test organisms to address fundamental challenges the world is facing today. Ginkgo bioengineers use our foundry—a custom-built, centralized set of robotic lab equipment and software—to build new organisms for making natural products, pharmaceuticals, biofuels, and more. We're creating the code base, compiler and debugger for biology. We're looking for an amazing Software Product Manager to help us design and build the best toolchain - the bioinformatics and analysis tools that will define how bioengineers design organisms at scale.
Ginkgo has built a strong set of internal software tools, automation and processes. This toolchain and know-how enables high-throughput genetic engineering across multiple species. We want to make our software tools better by adding to their capabilities and scaling their capacity, while making them easier and more efficient to use. The ideal Product Manager will have a passion for synthetic biology and scientific software, a strong understanding of its challenges, and a proven track record for delivering incredible software.
As a Ginkgo Software Product Manager you will guide the development of the computational tools that help bioengineers design, build and debug organisms at scale and faster than ever. More specifically, you will:
- Engage with internal stakeholders—bioengineers, software developers, scientists, and managers--to understand and prioritize core software needs.
- Collaboratively develop the best solutions that can be delivered in a time and cost sensitive manner.
- Align development teams and stakeholders around the solutions you develop by advocating for them, ensuring their quality, and maintaining user engagement.
- Work with developers to prioritize and scope software solutions and drive their development.
- Determine and communicate software needs by interviewing key stakeholders.
- Help develop the long term roadmap for internal software development.
- Ensure sufficient documentation for developed solutions.
- One of the following: B.S. or higher degree in biological engineering, synthetic biology, or a related field. OR B.S. or higher degree in computer science or a related field and industry experience with biology, biological engineering, synthetic biology, or a related field.
- Proven track record delivering incredible software as a product manager.
- Previous startup experience a plus.
- Excited to work with the best scientists and engineers to develop new software tools to solve never-before-seen scientific challenges.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.