Head of Operations
General, Finance & Administration
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We are looking for a passionate, like-minded individual to manage our infrastructure operations. We want to transform genetic engineering into an integrated, industrialized technology pipeline, and our infrastructure forms the basis for all of our work. We have launched multiple foundries for engineering organisms containing custom CAD/CAM software, robotic automation, the latest genetic and genome engineering tools, high resolution LC-MS, automated fermentation, and much more. To manage the home for all of this incredible technology, you will need to balance a thoughtful attention to detail with an unflappable tolerance for chaos. We need you to not only keep our foundry running as we constantly innovate our science, but also develop and execute on a vision for the future of our spaces.
As the Head of Operations, you will be critical to the success of our foundry and organism engineers. If you are up for a challenge in a fast-paced company, apply now!
- Oversee company-wide infrastructure, including facilities, equipment, lab services, and safety
- Ensure the safe and efficient operation of all labs by maintaining compliance, increasing accessibility of safe practices, and removing obstacles for scientific productivity
- Responsible for short and long term space planning
- Manage relationships among employees, contractors, and vendors
- 10+ years of relevant experience managing labs, facilities, infrastructure, and people
- Must have experience in a lab (preferably biological) environment
- Strong problem solving abilities, customer service mindset, and excellent communication skills
- Must be self-directed and a capable decision maker
- Excellent project management skills
- Thrives in lean and chaotic environments
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks secures $275 million in Series D, valuing the company at over $1 billion (TechCrunch)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.