Software Engineer - Bioinformatics
Ginkgo Bioworks is YCombinator's first biotech company ... we were personally recruited by Sam Altman to join YC: http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/19/sam-altman-on-his-inaugural-batch-of-companies-as-y-combinators-new-head/
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. We engineer organisms to address fundamental challenges the world is facing today. Ginkgo bioengineers make use of an in-house organism foundry to engineer new organisms for making natural products, pharmaceuticals, biofuels, and more. We're making the code base, compiler and debugger for life. We're looking for experienced developers interested in architecting the organism design toolchain - the CAD, CAM and CAT tools that will define how bioengineers design organisms at scale.
- Developing genetic design tools for forward design of enzymes, metabolic pathways and genomes
- Developing tools for comparative and phylogenetic analysis of genome and metagenome sequence data
- Developing sequence analysis tools for verification, analysis and comparison of engineered strains
- Developing tools for manipulation and analysis of NGS datasets
- Writing custom scripts for any of the above as needed
- Integration of tools into Ginkgo's software infrastructure
- PhD or equivalent in computer science, bioinformatics, computational biology or equivalent
- Experience with manipulation and visualization of genome, metagenome and/or NGS datasets
- Proven ability to write clean, elegant code and contribute to collaborative codebases
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.