Software Engineer - Bioinformatics
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We're making the code base, compiler, and debugger for life. We're looking for Software Engineers specializing in bioinformatics who are interested in developing the organism design toolchain - the CAD, CAM, and CAT tools that will define how bioengineers design organisms at scale.
- Developing genetic design tools for forward design of enzymes, metabolic pathways, and genomes
- Developing tools for comparative and phylogenetic analysis of genome and metagenome sequence data
- Developing sequence analysis tools for verification, analysis, and comparison of engineered strains
- Developing tools for manipulation and analysis of NGS datasets
- Writing custom scripts for any of the above as needed
- Integration of tools into Ginkgo's software infrastructure
- PhD or equivalent in computer science, bioinformatics, computational biology, or equivalent
- Experience with manipulation and visualization of genome, metagenome, and/or NGS datasets
- Proven ability to write clean, elegant code and contribute to collaborative codebases
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
Ginkgo Bioworks secures $275 million in Series D, valuing the company at over $1 billion (TechCrunch)
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.