New York City or Remote /
Moms First /
Moms First is a national, nonprofit organization transforming our workplaces, our government, and our culture to enable moms in America to thrive. We were founded by Girls Who Code founder and activist Reshma Saujani in the height of the COVID-19 pandemic as millions of women were pushed out of the labor force, erasing 30 years of progress overnight. The pandemic exposed what we’ve always known to be true: while other countries have social safety nets, America runs on the unseen, unpaid labor of its moms.
Today, Moms First is one of the leading organizations dedicated to advancing women’s economic freedom, uplifting the vital work of moms in our society and building the power to win the public and private sector investments we need and deserve, including affordable child care, paid family leave, and equal pay. To achieve these goals our work focuses on three programmatic initiatives:
National Business Coalition for Child Care: Only in America do we view child care as a personal problem. Through our National Business Coalition for Child Care (NBCC), we engage private sector leaders to raise awareness of child care as a business issue and expand child care benefits to more American workers.
Culture: We believe policy change and culture change go hand in hand. Our thought leadership and creative campaigns shine a spotlight on the issues impacting moms in our society and shift mindsets around the value of investing in policies and supports moms need and deserve.
Moms First Community: Our impact is powered by a bipartisan grassroots army of moms across the country empowered to fight for change in our homes, workplaces and communities. We are committed to rapidly expanding the size and power of this community in the coming year under the leadership of an incoming Digital Director.
Moms First is seeking our first ever Digital Director to develop and execute a digital program that enables Moms First to grow our impact across all areas of our work, with a focus on cultivating our Moms First Community. The Digital Director will be responsible for the development and implementation of high-impact campaigns and all public-facing digital communications for the organization. As our first Digital Director, this is a unique opportunity to be the architect of the Digital function and make a concrete impact as a leader of a growing startup.
Key Responsibilities: Digital
- Develop strategy to grow digital channels and oversee the execution of the organization’s digital campaigns (long-term and rapid response) across all channels including social media, email, SMS, website and paid ads. Campaigns will span our programmatic areas as well as development.
- Create content calendars for and oversee the creation and distribution of high-quality content across all of our digital channels.
- Partner with Marketing & Communications Director to ensure the effective and consistent distribution of our messaging across channels, including overseeing a digital fundraising consultant and social media consultants.
- Coordinate with Development to support the strategy and implementation of our digital fundraising program.
- Own and optimize our digital infrastructure, including recommending and implementing a new CRM, and managing our website, digital platforms, and digital tools.
- Engage and manage agency partners to support design, paid media, website and other digital needs.
Key Responsibilities: Moms First Community
- Own the strategy and execution of a program that unites and empowers diverse, bipartisan moms across the country to fight for the changes we need and deserve, in our homes and workplaces, as well as at the ballot box.
- Develop insights through ongoing user engagement and feedback from the community that directly inform strategy.
- Leverage digital platforms, strategies and content to cultivate a vibrant and supportive online space where moms can engage with, learn from, and uplift one another.
- Design a campaign-oriented program strategy that leverages digital tools to create opportunities for moms to take meaningful actions.
- Rapidly grow this community across digital platforms by implementing a range of paid and organic tactics.
Key Responsibilities: Leadership
- Build and lead the Digital team, including hiring a Community Manager and consultants in year one, with the opportunity to make additional hires in 2024.
- Establish goals and institute tools and processes for measurement and regular reporting.
- Contribute to organization’s overall strategy, including advising the Board, C-Suite and staff on the digital program, as well as industry trends.
- You have 8+ years of relevant digital experience, including a demonstrated track record of developing effective digital strategies and leading digital campaigns in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment.
- You’re excited about the opportunity to build a digital program from the ground up, standing up a new function within a startup and implementing your own strategy.
- You’re passionate about our mission of creating a world where moms can thrive, and eager to support moms with the opportunities to advocate for themselves and one another.
- You have experience growing and engaging online communities that provide real value to members and inspire them to take action.
- You have expertise in a range of digital tools and tactics, and know when to leverage them to achieve various objectives.
- You have experience in both managing large (100K+) social media followings directly as well as in an oversight capacity, and are fluent in all major social platforms.
- You’re an excellent writer with a talent for adapting messaging and materials to create compelling digital content.
- You thrive in a startup environment and can easily flex from strategy to execution, as well as adapt to shifting priorities.
- You relish a good “roll up your sleeves” moment – no task is too big or too small.
- You are data-driven and experienced in using digital metrics and analytics to inform your strategy.
- You have experience leading a team – managing and supervising staff, delegating assignments, communicating expectations and feedback clearly, and developing individuals.
- You have effectively managed vendors and consultants including designers, paid media firms, creative agencies, and others.
- Your leadership style is highly collaborative: you manage up, down and laterally, getting input and buy-in from key stakeholders, giving and receiving feedback, and managing conflict while maintaining strong and effective relationships.
- Bonus if you bring any of the following:
- Experience working at a community-oriented, mission-driven consumer brand or in a bi-partisan organization.
- An understanding of the policy issues impacting moms – such as affordable child care, paid leave, the motherhood penalty, as well as cultural dynamics.
Salary range: $103,000 to $131,000
At Moms First, we value our team members and offer employees a broad range of benefits to round out our total compensation package.
Our ambitious, high impact, and supportive culture allows people to do their best work every day. We offer policies and programs that encourage balance and support health and well-being, and we are always looking for new ways to maintain a culture where our people excel and lead healthy, happy lives.
Our competitive compensation and benefits package includes generous PTO, 3 medical insurance plans (including one fully funded by the org), vision, dental, 401(k) with match, hybrid work, virtual days, paid parental leave, medical flexible spending plans, life insurance, short and long term disability.
Moms First is committed to building a truly diverse and inclusive organization with a focus on valuing, serving, and understanding our target constituents, while challenging all stakeholders to think inclusively for the betterment of our programs.
Moms First is an equal opportunity employer committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, national origin, ethnicity, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis. Racial and ethnic minorities and men are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. Moms First is not able to sponsor employment visas.