Finance & Compliance Manager
New York /
Girls Who Code has been named one of the Best Non Profits to Work For and is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace environment that allows employees to be engaged, productive and successful.
We are seeking a Finance & Compliance Manager to help run smooth Finance & Compliance operations. In this role, you will report directly to our Chief Financial Officer. You will implement and monitor finance and compliance business processes and perform routine audits to identify areas of improvement, with a particular focus on grant proposals and management. You will also help implement new policies, systems, or controls designed to reduce risk. You will support and educate our teams on Finance & Compliance matters and will project manage our outsourced Fiscal Management provider and our external compliance provider. Applicants should have a bachelor's degree or higher as well as relevant experience in Finance & Compliance operations in areas such as grants compliance, regulatory compliance or audit.
This is a full-time position that is based in New York City. A regular hybrid work schedule, requiring 2 in-office days per week, is currently in place. Subject to change. We are not considering remote applicants.
- Implement and Monitor policies, systems, and controls to ensure smooth Finance, Legal, & Compliance operations and mitigate risk; Identify opportunities to streamline and improve processes, providing input for automating processes, and actively implementing changes, as needed.
- Work with our fundraising team to develop grant proposals and provide financial administration of a diverse portfolio of private and public grants, ensuring that they are administered in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Manage the timely and accurate deliverables of our outsourced Fiscal Management Provider and external audit firms.
- Support teams across the organization with their Finance, Legal & Compliance needs, providing timely and comprehensive responses to their needs.
- Train employees on Finance, Legal, and Compliance workflows, both through new employee training and ongoing staff development.
- Actively manage compliance risks, including entity and charitable solicitation registrations, state and local employment registration requirements, regulatory correspondence, corporate governance and child safeguarding.
- Manage library of contracts, acceptable exceptions, and fully executed contracts. This will include a wide variety of commercial and strategic agreements, including our agreements with schools, service agreements, consultancies, and vendor agreements.
- In coordination with our Data & Analytics team, ensure our Terms of Service and Data Privacy Policies are up to date and implemented
- Assist in the preparation of materials for board reports, staff meetings, and executive leadership meetings.
- Organize and prepare for meetings to include conducting research as requested, collecting and drafting agendas, coordinating technology, etc. Attend meetings as needed and take and distribute minutes.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as assigned
- Minimum 4 years related experience; preferably in Grants Administration, Finance and Accounting Operations, Consulting, Compliance and Reporting
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or similar and/or equivalent professional experience
- Outstanding project management skills, excellent in managing shifting timelines and priorities, able to accurately and thoroughly follow-through, able to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Impeccable judgment and ability to handle confidential information
- Results-oriented: creative and tenacious in accomplishing tasks, positive and calm attitude with inclination to view problems as challenges and enjoy finding solutions
- Ability to work proactively and take initiative
- Superb organization and prioritization skills; high attention to detail
- Must be comfortable working with databases and computerized financial systems
- Must be able to identify priorities within multiple assignments in a dynamic environment, and be able to work with diplomacy and efficiency at all times
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent organizational, analytical, critical thinking, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Strong customer service orientation and commitment to exceptional quality
- Comfort working with all levels of employees, be flexible in nature, have sound judgment with an open and collaborative style that encourages teamwork and cooperation beyond the immediate team to the broader organization
Girls Who Code is committed to building a truly diverse and inclusive organization with a focus on valuing, serving, and understanding our target constituents, while challenging all stakeholders to think inclusively for the betterment of our programs.
Girls Who Code is an equal opportunity employer committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, national origin, ethnicity, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis. Racial and ethnic minorities and men are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. GWC is not able to sponsor employment visas.