Communications and Social Media Associate
New York /
Marketing & Communications /
As a member of the Communications team, the Communications and Social Media Associate will support project management, social media strategy and execution, media relations, messaging, and thought leadership to advance the Girls Who Code mission of closing the gender gap in tech. The Associate will support positioning Girls Who Code as a thought leader on issues related to the gender gap in tech, equity in education, and more via social media, press, and messaging. The Communications Associate will report directly to the Director of Communications.
The ideal candidate is self-motivated, has excellent organizational and communication skills, a proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and a passion for our mission to close the gender gap in technology fields through a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
This position is paid on an hourly basis and is classified as non-exempt.
- Drafting executive briefings, press releases, media advisories, press pitches, key messaging, op-eds, speeches / presentations, and other comms collateral
- Staffing interviews and executive speaking appearances
- Building relationships with key local, regional, national, and international media outlets and maintaining an up-to-date press contact and coverage list
- Managing incoming inquiries to email@example.com
- Maintain a social media editorial calendar for Girls Who Code; copy-write, edit, design, and post content;
- Identify high-impact opportunities to increase the visibility of our programs, alumni, partners, and spokespeople
- Guide and advise staff across the organization on effective and engaging opportunities to maximize visibility for the organization’s work
- Support the development of the organization’s influencer strategy
- Tracking key metrics to monitor the success of social media strategy and press outreach, as well as monitoring media about the organization and the broader tech, gender equity landscape
- Facilitate project management by maintaining a communications calendar that plans for organizational initiatives; and captures progress, deliverables, and goals
- 2-4 years of experience in communications, media relations and/or related fields
- Demonstrated writing experience; natural communicator who can craft compelling stories for a range of audiences and formats
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines required
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative, organization, and attention to detail
- Desire to learn and grow as part of a fast-growing organization; team player with a flexible, creative, and analytical approach to problem solving
Girls Who Code is committed to building a truly diverse and inclusive organization with a focus on valuing, serving, and understanding our target constituents, while challenging all stakeholders to think inclusively for the betterment of our programs.
Girls Who Code is an equal opportunity employer committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, national origin, ethnicity, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis. Racial and ethnic minorities and men are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. GWC is not able to sponsor employment visas.