Director of Development - Moms First
New York City or Remote /
Moms First /
Moms First, formerly Marshall Plan for Moms, is a national nonprofit transforming our workplaces, our government, and our culture to enable moms in America to thrive. Our grassroots movement of nearly one million moms and supporters is dedicated to advancing women’s economic freedom, uplifting the vital work of moms in our society and building the power to win the public and private sector investments moms need and deserve, including child care, paid leave, and equal pay. The organization is housed within the nonprofit Girls Who Code and founded by Reshma Saujani, a long-time advocate for women’s economic empowerment.
Moms First is searching for a strategic, results-oriented Director of Development to lead development across foundations, corporate donors, high net worth donors, and grassroots donors. Reporting to the CEO, you will be responsible for identifying, cultivating, and securing new donors and major philanthropic gifts that help meet our ambitious fundraising goals. You have experience securing six and seven figure gifts from large foundations or corporations and/or other philanthropic funding sources by building and working a robust pipeline. You’re a natural salesperson and storyteller with a deep passion for our mission to create a world where moms can thrive. You enjoy diving into the details and setting up processes and systems to help our organization prospect, cultivate, and close major corporate and other philanthropic gifts. The successful applicant will build lasting relationships with donors, and keep them informed on how their financial input is making the world a better place.
The Moms First team is remote, with a hybrid work option for New York City based team members. This role may be performed virtually, but candidates must be willing to travel and be based near a major airport with direct flights to NY, DC, and LA.
- In collaboration with CEO, set overall fundraising goals and strategy for new foundations, corporations, individual giving, and events
- Leverage and expand prospect pipeline to maintain, grow, and secure new six and seven figure corporate partnerships
- Lead outreach and communication with prospective contacts across all levels
- Pitch partnership opportunities to C-level executives and facilitate discovery and pitch meetings for CEO as needed with new prospects
- Lead on communications with donors to keep them informed on how their financial input is making the world a better place
- Develop best-in-class materials, processes and systems that improve Moms Firsts’ ability to tell its story and prospect, cultivate, and secure major gifts
- In collaboration with Programs, develop new programmatic offerings and benefits based on feedback from prospects and donors
- Review and revamp external pitch and resources, such as presentations, contracts and reports
- Work with CEO, to evaluate individual giving and events programs, developing vision and strategy and driving execution for this emerging body of work
- 8+ years experience in a business development role or fundraising capacity in nonprofit
- Comfort and desire to function as a highly-skilled individual contributor on a small, but ambitious team
- Experience securing new six and seven figure gifts from corporations
- Experience developing and operationalizing strategies for organizational and/or programmatic growth
- Strong communication and presentation skills; a natural storyteller and salesperson who can win hearts and minds, influence, and negotiate
- Keen sense of accountability for meeting deadlines and fundraising goals
- Proven ability to manage multiple, deadline-driven projects at the same time while collaborating with internal and external stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; advanced degree a plus
- Commitment to Moms First’s mission and to diversity, equity, and inclusion
$111,000 - $142,000 a year
Compensation transparency statement:
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; certifications; and other business and organizational needs. At Girls Who Code, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case.
Moms First is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace environment that allows employees to be engaged, productive and successful.
We value our team members and offer employees a broad range of benefits to round out our total compensation package. Our ambitious, high impact, and supportive culture allows people to do their best work every day. We offer policies and programs that encourage balance and support health and well-being, and we are always looking for new ways to maintain a culture where our people excel and lead healthy, happy lives. Our competitive compensation and benefits package includes generous PTO, 3 medical insurance plans (including one fully funded by the org), vision, dental, 401(k) with match, hybrid work, virtual days, paid parental leave, medical flexible spending plans, life insurance, short and long term disability.
Moms First is committed to building a truly diverse and inclusive organization with a focus on valuing, serving, and understanding our target constituents, while challenging all stakeholders to think inclusively for the betterment of our programs.
Moms First is an equal opportunity employer committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, national origin, ethnicity, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis. Racial and ethnic minorities and men are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. Moms First is not able to sponsor employment visas.