Senior Manager, Communications
New York City /
Moms First /
Moms First, formerly Marshall Plan for Moms, is a national, non-profit organization transforming our workplaces, our government, and our culture to enable moms in America to thrive. Our grassroots movement of more than half a million moms and supporters is dedicated to advancing women’s economic freedom, uplifting the vital work of moms in our society and building the power to win the public and private sector investments moms need and deserve, including child care, paid leave, and equal pay. The organization is housed within the non-profit Girls Who Code and founded by Reshma Saujani, a long-time advocate for women’s economic empowerment.
The Senior Manager, Communications will drive the organization’s communications strategy to raise awareness of Moms First and its mission and advance the “Mom Agenda” among key stakeholder groups, with an emphasis on media relations. Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Senior Manager is responsible for developing core messaging that elevates Moms First, its leadership and various initiatives in the media, supporting thought leadership such as op-eds and speaking opportunities, and amplifying the voices of moms, business leaders, celebrities and other relevant messengers.
A successful candidate will have at least 6 years of demonstrated communications, public relations and media engagement experience. You are an exceptional writer and have a proven track record of managing press strategy and activities including pitching, building and maintaining relationships with the press. You have deep experience working with visionary principals, providing them with the preparation and support required to ace press interviews, panels, speeches, and more. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and have a track record of driving creativity and results. You are passionate about the power of storytelling, sophisticated about the media zeitgeist, and committed to the mission of finishing the fight for women’s equality. The Moms First team is remote, with a hybrid work option for New York City based team members.
- Develop and own execution of Mom First communications strategy, including tracking key performance indicators
- Manage all press, public relations and media relations to secure high-impact press for the organization and its CEO
- Prepare CEO and other organizational spokespeople for all external engagements, including media interviews and speaking opportunities with thorough, up-to-date briefing documents
- Own development of core messaging and routinely draft a broad range of materials and content including press releases, talking points, speeches, op-eds, testimonies, and reports, conducting research where necessary
- Create compelling narratives to center moms, what they need, and the value of investing in them in the national conversation
- Lead communications for our National Business Coalition for Child Care (NBCC), including engaging members to speak on our behalf and pitching and preparing them for media
- Own internal brand and style guide and quality control for all externally-facing documents
- Collaborate across digital, social, and all external channels to ensure aligned messaging
- Hire and manage external PR agencies and writers to expand our capability and reach
QUALIFICATIONS - The ideal candidate for this position has:
- 6+ years of communications and/or media relations experience on a political or advocacy campaign, at a public relations agency, a consumer brand, or a mission-driven organization
- Exceptional writing skills honed in a fast-paced, start up environment
- Strong track record of landing stories in the press that meet the moment
- Experience supporting high level executives in managing their various communications needs, from briefings, to talking points, to speeches and beyond
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities and adapt them as priorities shift, and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated experience managing against ambitious communications goals
- Reputation for building alignment and inspiring a culture of collaboration; desire to learn and grow
- Innovative spirit and willingness to try new things, pivot, and learn from mistakes
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative, organization, and attention to detail
- Team player who relishes a good “roll up your sleeves” moment; brings a flexible, creative, and analytical approach to problem solving
- Passionate about storytelling across channels and savvy about social media
- Committed to the mission of finishing the fight for women’s equality and the values of diversity, equity and inclusion
$80,000 - $109,000 a year
Compensation transparency statement:
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; certifications; and other business and organizational needs. At Girls Who Code, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case.
Moms First is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace environment that allows employees to be engaged, productive and successful.
We value our team members and offer employees a broad range of benefits to round out our total compensation package. Our ambitious, high impact, and supportive culture allows people to do their best work every day. We offer policies and programs that encourage balance and support health and well-being, and we are always looking for new ways to maintain a culture where our people excel and lead healthy, happy lives. Our competitive compensation and benefits package includes generous PTO, 3 medical insurance plans (including one fully funded by the org), vision, dental, 401(k) with match, hybrid work, virtual days, paid parental leave, medical flexible spending plans, life insurance, short and long term disability.
Moms First is committed to building a truly diverse and inclusive organization with a focus on valuing, serving, and understanding our target constituents, while challenging all stakeholders to think inclusively for the betterment of our programs.
Moms First is an equal opportunity employer committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, national origin, ethnicity, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis. Racial and ethnic minorities and men are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. GWC is not able to sponsor employment visas.