New York City or Remote
Moms First /
Moms First, formerly Marshall Plan for Moms, is a national nonprofit transforming our workplaces, our government, and our culture to enable moms in America to thrive. Our grassroots movement of one million moms and supporters is dedicated to advancing women’s economic freedom, uplifting the vital work of moms in our society and building the power to win the public and private sector investments moms need and deserve, including child care, paid leave, and equal pay. The organization is housed within the nonprofit Girls Who Code and founded by Reshma Saujani, a long-time advocate for women’s economic empowerment.
We are seeking a strategic, results-oriented Director of Development to lead development across foundations, corporate donors, high net worth donors, and grassroots donors. Reporting to the CEO, you will be responsible for identifying, cultivating, and securing new donors and major philanthropic gifts that help meet our ambitious fundraising goals. You have experience securing six and seven figure gifts from large foundations or corporations and/or other philanthropic funding sources by building and working a robust pipeline. You’re a natural salesperson and storyteller with a deep passion for our mission to create a world where moms can thrive. You enjoy diving into the details and setting up processes and systems to help our organization prospect, cultivate, and close major corporate and other philanthropic gifts, and you’re adept at managing a team to deliver results. The successful applicant will build lasting relationships with donors, and keep them informed on how their contributions are making the world a better place.
This role is perfect for someone who prioritizes real world impact above all else, is a builder by nature, loves to make decisions quickly, and relishes the opportunity to wade into blue sky space to grow transformative partnerships. Our team values are to be daring, high impact, relentless, equitable and above all else, put moms (and our team) first. As a senior leader on the team, this role will be responsible for helping to shape how we live out these values in our work day to day.
The Moms First team is remote, with a hybrid work option for New York City based team members. This role may be performed virtually, however we prefer candidates based in the NYC-metro area. If remote, candidates must be willing to travel and be based near a major airport with direct flights to NY, DC, and LA.
- In collaboration with CEO, set overall fundraising goals and strategy for new foundations, corporations, individual giving, and events
- Leverage and expand prospect pipeline to maintain, grow, and secure new six and seven figure corporate partnerships
- Lead outreach and communication with prospective contacts across all levels
- Pitch partnership opportunities to C-level executives and facilitate discovery and pitch meetings for CEO as needed with new prospects
- Lead on communications with donors to keep them informed on how their financial input is making the world a better place
- Develop best-in-class materials, processes and systems that improve Moms Firsts’ ability to tell its story and prospect, cultivate, and secure major gifts
- Review and revamp external pitch and resources, such as presentations, contracts and reports
- Work with CEO, to evaluate individual giving and events programs, developing vision and strategy and driving execution for this emerging body of work
- Manage one team mem and collaborate across functions to drive results
- Contribute to organizational culture through modeling and ongoing feedback
- 8+ years experience in a fundraising capacity in a campaign or high-growth nonprofit, or commensurate business development experience in a fast-paced venture
- Comfort and desire to function as a highly-skilled leader and manager on a small, but ambitious team
- Experience securing new six and seven figure gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Strong communication and presentation skills; a natural storyteller and salesperson who can win hearts and minds, influence, and negotiate
- Keen sense of accountability for meeting deadlines and fundraising goals
- Highly organized with a proven ability to manage multiple, deadline-driven projects at the same time while collaborating with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience managing direct reports
- Experience developing and operationalizing strategies for organizational and/or programmatic growth
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Commitment to Moms First’s mission and to diversity, equity, and inclusion
$111,000 - $142,000 a year
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; certifications; and other business and organizational needs. At Moms First, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case.
Moms First is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace environment that allows employees to be engaged, productive and successful. When we say we “put moms first,” this means we believe that moms should be supported and able to put their needs first; this value extends to our own colleagues and means that we expect and encourage one another to prioritize our health and well-being, as well as our families, whether it’s a midday therapy session, a doctor’s appointment, or school pick up and drop off.
We value our team members and offer employees a broad range of benefits to round out our total compensation package. Our ambitious, high impact, and supportive culture allows people to do their best work every day. We offer policies and programs that encourage balance and support health and well-being, and we are always looking for new ways to maintain a culture where our people excel and lead healthy, happy lives. Our competitive compensation and benefits package includes generous PTO, 3 medical insurance plans (including one fully funded by the org), vision, dental, 401(k) with match, hybrid work, virtual days, paid parental leave, medical flexible spending plans, life insurance, short and long term disability.
Moms First is committed to building a truly diverse and inclusive organization with a focus on valuing, serving, and understanding our target constituents, while challenging all stakeholders to think inclusively for the betterment of our programs.
Moms First is an equal opportunity employer committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, national origin, ethnicity, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis. Racial and ethnic minorities and men are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels. Moms First is not able to sponsor employment visas.
Moms FIrst is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. For individuals with a disability who would like to request an accommodation, please contact email@example.com