Remote / Europe and North America /
Product & Engineering /
🤔 Why are we opening this position ?
GitBook is a modern documentation platform. Our ambition is to empower teams through a new document standard suited for modern work and collaboration. GitBook is now used by over 1M users and thousands of teams such as Adobe, Netflix, Decathlon, and Google.
We are growing and focused on evolving our technical product capabilities along with our core team structures, processes, and practices. With this in mind, we're looking for a Software Engineer to join our Product & Engineering team and help us own the product vision while developing an outstanding experience for our users.
🙌 What will you be doing ?
- You'll participate in crafting a strong product driven engineering culture that places a heavy emphasis on product thinking throughout the entire development lifecycle to maximize user impact
- You'll grow GitBook's impact on millions of users by solving technical product challenges of high scope and complexity
- You'll leverage a product driven approach to crafting our unique, highly scalable solutions for complex systems with a serverless philosophy that drives our application
- You'll own the implementation of new features from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution
- You'll contribute to the definition and be the advocate of our internal standards for style, maintainability and best practices
- You'll provide mentorship for engineers to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers
🛠️ What environment will you be working on ?
- Technical stack: We’re working on a server-less architecture (using Firebase and Google Cloud services) in NodeJS and React (both in TypeScript). Here's our stackshare.io page to learn more about our stack.
- How we work: Engineering works to continuously delivering value, focusing on shipping as a team. We use a lightweight Kanban process that prioritizes throughput and delivery of value as defined by user impact and reach. We celebrate our successes every Friday with a public Show and Tell and manage workload every Monday with a kickoff. As a product focused company, Engineering works in tandem with Product to help create value from idea inception to value delivery.
🙌 You will be valued for :
- your teamwork You understand that value is created and delivered to users. You help the team operate openly and transparently, elevating the quality of documentation and our rigour. You grow through experimentation and lead with compassion, improving the organization and your teammates.
- your technical expertise, as you already have extensive experience (+5 years) working with Typescript, ReactJS and NodeJS.
- your engineering experience, as you have a strong understanding of how a web application is built and delivered to end-users. You are comfortable with topics such as performance optimisation, data synchronisation, and caching. Your experience in application monitoring and debugging will also be valued and it will be an added plus if you have experience with server-less infrastructure.
- your product-oriented mindset. You are driven by creating values for ours users, and not solely by solving hard tech problems. You have past experience owning a project from concept to production, with a focus on the end user and final impact. You approach engineering with an empathy driven mindset that keeps a broader context when executing.
✨ What's next ?
First, we will take the time to review your application and we will get back to you within a week, regardless of our decision.
Here's what our process will look like:
1. Discover call (30min) with our Head of Engineering to ensure there is a correlation between GitBook's expectations, the role and your own expectations.
2. Technical interview (30min) with 2 members of our Engineering team
3. Cultural alignment interview (60min) with 2 members of our Engineering team
4. Take home technical exercise
5. Pair programming interview (60min) expanding on the take home exercise with a member of our Engineering team
6. Meet the founder call with Samy, co-founder
👥👥 Every single team member is a value addition to our culture, so it's important for us to state our values.
👍👍 While joining GitBook, you will also appreciate our Perks & Benefits.