Engineering Manager — Platform Interface
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software and we want you to help change the way we build GitHub. We're looking for an experienced engineering manager to help lead a vibrant and distributed group of Platform engineers.
This role is not about dictating or managing a team member’s work directly, but rather guiding and serving to ensure the happiness and productivity of the team. The primary goal of this job is to enable every team member to do the best work of their lives.
The engineers on GitHub's Platform Interface team are responsible for the interfaces engineers use to integrate with GitHub. These interfaces include our REST API, GraphQL API, and webhooks and are used by both internal GitHub engineers and external integrators. The team works primarily in Ruby but has the flexibility to use the technologies necessary to build a resilient, performant platform.
- Actively writing software as a technical leader on the team
- Meeting 1-1 with team members on a regular basis
- Planning and supporting career development
- Giving guided performance feedback
- Serving as a coach and mentor
- Fostering a supportive environment that will allow engineers to do their best work
- Serving as hiring manager for the team
- Guiding the development team’s vision, best practices, and priorities
- Reviewing code and leading small group discussions about engineering issues
- 3+ years managing engineering teams
- Experience with a public REST API
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Passionate about creating and fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Ability to empathize with a diverse range of engineers and external integrators
- Have worked with a distributed team
- Have extensive experience managing/working on distributed teams
- Experience with GraphQL in production environments
GitHub is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of color and other groups currently underrepresented in tech. We are looking for candidates who:
• Display a strong commitment to building an inclusive tech environment
• Have demonstrated resilience and resourcefulness both in and outside of the workplace
• Can bring a new perspective based on unique educational, professional, and lived experiences
• Can effectively communicate with people from disparate backgrounds
• Have experience mentoring/coaching/teaching, particularly in environments with diverse students/participants
WHO WE ARE
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over ten million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com, our desktop and mobile apps, and GitHub Enterprise, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write better code, faster.
We have a lot of exciting things to do, and we’re looking for the right people to grow with us!
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN
Working at GitHub is, to put it simply, a special slice of the universe. We're committed to transparency, collaboration, experimentation, and always staying classy.
Because of this unique perspective, we've established one of the most flexible and well designed physical workspaces around that encourages you to work as you work best. Right now, over 60% of our employees are based outside of our San Francisco (SOMA) headquarters and work according to how they get their best stuff done.
Ensuring that GitHubbers are healthy, motivated, focused and creative is how GitHub stays awesome. Part of this is ensuring that our benefits* are out of this world.
In a nutshell, we've built and are growing a place where we truly love working, and we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people with many different backgrounds and lifestyles, and we like it that way. We invite applications from people of all stripes. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences that people imagine to discriminate against one another. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's anything we can do to make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate.
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask your recruiter!