Data Scientist Intern
The Data Science team at GitHub drives the practice and culture of making data-driven decisions, products, and services. Your role will be to help build product features by applying data, statistical, and machine learning techniques.
- You will collaborate with an experienced data scientist mentor on designing, prototyping, and implementing data products to be used by millions of users. You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Define the problem, establish hypotheses and figure out how to collect relevant data
- Apply programming skills to clean and explore data and implement statistical/machine learning models
- Define metrics that help evaluate the results and iterate on the models to improve them
What you will learn:
- Data wrangling at scale
- Model implementation and (hyper-) parameter tuning
- How to define meaningful and relevant metrics for model evaluation
- Presenting your findings to a large audience
- Experience using GitHub
- Experience with programming or scripting (Python or R preferred)
- Passion for analytical problem solving and interest in building data models
Who we are
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over ten million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com, our desktop and mobile apps, and GitHub Enterprise, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write better code, faster.
We have a lot of exciting things to do, and we’re looking for the right people to grow with us!
Why you should join our Summer 2017 Intern Program
Working at GitHub is, to put it simply, a special slice of the universe. We're committed to transparency, collaboration, experimentation, and always staying classy. We've built and are growing a place where we truly love working, and we think you will too.
We love watching talented people learn and explore their skills. Our internships are designed to give you unique work experience by pairing you with real GitHubbers on real projects.
As a Summer Intern:
- You will be based at our headquarters in San Francisco, CA
- Your internship will be 9 weeks between June and August, 2017
- You must be a student enrolled in a university, community college, associate, or graduate school program to be eligible
Email us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
GitHub is made up of people with many different backgrounds and lifestyles, and we like it that way. We invite applications from people of all stripes. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences that people imagine to discriminate against one another. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's anything we can do to make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate.