Lead Engineer, Backend
Technology – Product and Engineering /
Givebutter is the #1 rated fundraising platform on G2, powering $300M+ in donations for more than a million changemakers worldwide. Nonprofits use Givebutter to replace multiple tools so they can launch fundraisers and events, use donation forms and donor management (CRM), send emails and text blasts — all in one place. Instead of charging a traditional SaaS subscription fee, Givebutter is completely free to use with a 100% transparent tip-or-fee model. Givebutter has been certified as a Great Place to Work® in 2021 and 2022, and its founders Max Friedman, Liran Cohen, and Ari Krasner were recently featured on Forbes’ 30U30 list for Social Impact.
Our mission is to empower the changemaker in all of us. We believe giving should be fun, so you’ll want to do it again, and we also believe that work should be fun, so that you’ll have the greatest impact. We are excited to hear from talented people who want to work with other talented people in making the world a butter place—and have fun along the way.
Givebutter is hiring a Team Lead to oversee our backend engineering team and execution. As a Team Lead, you will be directly responsible for delivering world-class software to our users, maturing our engineering practices, and growing & leading a team of skilled engineers. You will report directly to our Director of Product, Jesse Saldana and carry out our product vision while creating a scaleable engineering culture that breeds innovation. You will ensure we are delivering excellent user experiences in a timely manner and retain top-notch security, design, and performance. You will cultivate a culture of high performers by creating systems that eliminate roadblocks, processes that incentivize excellence, and by being an expert in all things Laravel. We have already built a great foundation, powering hundreds of millions of donations to over 10k+ organizations and you will take this impact much further.
Why join Givebutter's Engineering team?
- Democracy of code - Our engineers value equal contribution as well as discussing architecture and ideas openly.
- Not overburdened with meetings - Our Engineers manage their own calendars and block times so they can work uninterrupted.
- Automated CI/CD - Our builds are reproducible and the pipeline is easy to manage. Shipping to production is hands-off, automated, and consistent. Our engineers are focused on solving problems with code.
- Mission-driven, full stop - We work with amazing organizations, non-profits, and charities doing good all over the world.
What technologies you’ll work with:
- Amazon Web Services
We want to hear from people who...
- Are execution focused and have a bias towards shipping
- Are product people and understand the importance of excellent and consistent design
- Are innovative and like to think a step ahead of the competition
- Are natural leaders who can bring a playbook for scaling engineering at a fast-growing startup
- Are not afraid to get your hands dirty and be there alongside your team in the code trenches
- Work with our CTO to develop overall engineering strategy for the backend team
- Manage in-house backend developers and contractor resources
- Responsible for system architecture and ensuring code is performant, reliable, and secure.
- Improve and iterate existing internal engineering best practices and workflows
- Establish and ensure code quality standards across codebase
- Oversee DevOps processes and maintenance roadmap
- This role should expect to spend roughly 80% of their time on the above and 20% of their time on feature development.
- 5+ years of experience building and deploying production software at scale
- 5+ years experience working with Laravel
- Knowledgeable about trends and best practices of PHP and Laravel
- 2+ years of experience managing system architecture, ensuring best practices for reliability, performance, and security
- Strong technical leadership, mentorship, and communication skills
- Experience working for a product-led growth company is beneficial
- Experience managing a remote engineering team
- Speed of execution
- Team retention and satisfaction
- Feature requests at https://community.givebutter.com
- Customer satisfaction as it relates to product uptime, performance, and resiliency
Remote Work: Work from anywhere in the United States.
Health Insurance: We offer Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance covered 100% for employees as well as HSA and FSA accounts.
Mental Health: Givebutter health insurance plans come with access to a TalkSpace membership.
401k: We offer access to a retirement planning account for all employees.
Vacation and Holiday: Take up to 15 days of paid vacation time per year plus additional days per year with the company. We also take off all 10+ Federal Holidays and provide 2 floating holidays.
Parental Leave: We offer 12 weeks paid parental leave for both primary and secondary caregivers.
Team Retreats: Participate in team trips each year to meet and work in person.
Home Office Stipend: Upgrade your home office with company-sponsored expenses including high-quality laptops, monitors, and modern technology.
Charitable Giving: Employees are encouraged to donate up to $50/month to any verified nonprofit they wish to support on Givebutter.
Professional Development: We offer learning and development reimbursement opportunities.
Love What You Do: We are a mission-driven company serving the charitable sector. Feel good about the work you're doing and the company you work for.