Lead Engineer, Backend
Technology – Product and Engineering /
Givebutter is the #1 rated fundraising platform on G2, powering more than $150M in donations annually for thousands of good causes. Over the past two years, our team of 3 has become a fully remote team of 30+ Butter Slices, spread across 21 states and five countries. We've been certified as a Great Place to Work in 2021 and 2022, and our founders were recently featured on Forbes’ 30U30 list for Social Impact.
Our mission is to empower the changemaker in all of us. We believe giving should be fun, so you’ll want to do it again, and we also believe that work should be fun, so that you’ll have the greatest impact. We are excited to hear from talented people who want to work with other talented people in making the world a butter place—and have fun along the way.
Givebutter is hiring a Team Lead to oversee our backend engineering team and execution. As a Team Lead, you will be directly responsible for delivering world-class software to our users, maturing our engineering practices, and growing & leading a team of skilled engineers. You will report directly to our CTO & Co-Founder, Liran Cohen and carry out our product vision while creating a scaleable engineering culture that breeds innovation. You will ensure we are delivering excellent user experiences in a timely manner and retain top-notch security, design, and performance. You will cultivate a culture of high performers by creating systems that eliminate roadblocks and processes that incentivize excellence. We have already built a great foundation, powering hundreds of millions of donations to over 10k+ organizations and you will take this impact much further.
We want to hear from people who...
- Are execution focused and have a bias towards shipping
- Are product people and understand the importance of excellent and consistent design
- Are innovative and like to think a step ahead of the competition
- Are natural leaders who can bring a playbook for scaling engineering at a fast-growing startup
- Are not afraid to get your hands dirty and be there alongside your team in the code trenches
- Work with our CTO to develop our engineering strategy and architecture decisions
- Recruit and develop both in-house and outsourced backend engineering talent
- Improve and establish our internal engineering practices with a focus on infrastructure, performance, testing, and code quality
- Collaborate with Marketing, Success, and Support teams when technical projects arise
- Implement workflows and processes to ensure an efficient working environment for all engineerings
- Perform code reviews
- 5+ years of experience building and deploying production software at scale
- Well versed in PHP and Laravel
- Knowledgeable about trends and best practices as it relates to our tech stack and industry
- Strong technical leadership, mentorship, and communication skills
- Experience working for a product-led growth company is beneficial
- Experience managing a remote engineering team is a plus
- Feature requests at https://community.givebutter.com
- Customer satisfaction as it relates to product uptime, performance, and resiliency
- Speed of execution
- Team retention and satisfaction
Why join Givebutter's Engineering team?
- Democracy of code - Our engineers value equal contribution as well as discussing architecture and ideas openly.
- Not overburdened with meetings - Our Engineers manage their own calendars and block times so they can work uninterrupted.
- Automated CI/CD - Our builds are reproducible and the pipeline is easy to manage. Shipping to production is hands-off, automated, and consistent. Our engineers are focused on solving problems with code.
- Mission-driven, full stop - We work with amazing organizations, non-profits, and charities doing good all over the world.
Remote Work: Work from anywhere in the United States.
Health Insurance: We offer Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance covered 100% for employees.
Vacation and Holiday: Take up to 15 days of paid vacation time per year plus additional days per year with the company. We also take off all 10+ Federal Holidays and provide 2 floating holidays.
Parental Leave: We offer 12 weeks paid parental leave for both primary and secondary caregivers.
Team Retreats: Participate in team trips each year to meet and work in person as soon as it is safe to do so.
Home Office Stipend: Upgrade your home office with company-sponsored expenses including high-quality laptops, monitors, and modern technology.
Charitable Giving: Employees are encouraged to donate up to $50/month to any verified nonprofit they wish to support on Givebutter.
Professional Development: We offer learning and development reimbursement opportunities.
Love What You Do: We are a mission-driven company serving the charitable sector. Feel good about the work you're doing and the company you work for.