Lead Front End Engineer
Buenos Aires /
Engineering – Development /
Reporting to Director of Engineering
Founded in 2014, Giving Assistant is a fast growing, mission-driven, for-profit, Certified B Corporation. In just 5 years, we envision a shopping economy where giving back is easy, and every purchase makes a difference no matter where you shop. Consumers will expect and demand nothing less. The winning companies will not only offer great products, they will also invest in the social and environmental missions that matter most to their customers.
We believe shopping and giving go together. We know that consumers shop more when they support a cause they love. That's why we have committed our team, partnerships, and technology to transform the collective power of consumer shopping into a new sustainable source of giving.
Giving Assistant empowers brands to enhance the shopping experience with personalized giving as a way to help consumers create impact, with each purchase. To date, our platform has generated over $5 million in donations to tens of thousands of U.S. nonprofits.
To transform the collective power of consumer shopping into a new sustainable source of giving.
Our Core Values:
- Work Smart, Live Well
- Do More with Less
- Be a Team Player
- Uphold Integrity & Transparency
- Inspire Giving
- Own the Experience
Be part of a new wave of change taking place across industries. With Web 1.0, online replaced offline businesses. In Web 2.0, niche-focused players took on the e-commerce giants. Giving Assistant is part of the next wave, a socially responsible wave, we call it, “conscious disruption."
Your role will be key in working with our growing team providing front end support for our suite of products. You will work with the Directors of Engineering, Tech Leads and alongside your peers in kanban fashion to tackle engineering tasks and implementations.
As our Front-End Team Lead, you will work very closely with our other team leads to convert business requirements into actionable tasks for your team to implement. You will support your team with stand-ups, project kickoffs, code reviews, assisting more junior engineers and by being the “heavy lifter” to handle the more complex challenges. In addition, you will be instrumental in guiding the clean up of our technical debt, working closely with our infrastructure teams to ensure that the project needs are met, and helping to ensure our Engineering department is focused on best practices.
Our business is growing rapidly and presents unique, evolving challenges. You should thrive in a fast paced environment and be enthusiastic to work in a team of mission-driven entrepreneurs, including a CEO with an exit.
- Design, build and deploy several new modules as part of our evolving platform
- Tackle challenging problems by integrating various data sets onto a common platform
- Help ensure and improve quality including writing integration and unit tests
- Improve and maintain the codebase (fix bugs, refactor, optimize)
- Work with a team of engineers to bring new features to our millions of users across various projects
- Collaborate with Experience Designers & Product Managers to iterate on the design and implementation of our product
- Work with other technical leads to architect and convert business requirements into actionable tasks
- Participate in creating an effective and enjoyable engineering culture
- Be the technical face of the team to Product Managers, QA Engineers and Data Analysts
- 3+ years of working on PHP applications
- 3+ years of formal experience as a team leader, coordinating and mentoring other engineers
- A solid foundation in Computer Science (data structures, algorithms, object oriented software design)
- Deep experience with the design and use of complex, distributed, scalable systems using mechanisms like web service APIs, queuing systems, caching layers, etc.
- Experience helping define user experience
- Proficient understanding of client-side scripting frameworks such as AngularJs, React, Redux, VanillaJS
- Excellent analytical & communication skills
- Experience writing unit tests, visual regression tests
- Advanced knowledge of HTTP, REST APIs, websockets
- Experience with modern development and management tools like git and BitBucket
- Understanding of caching concepts
- Excellent communication skills (in English: verbal and written)
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Engineering or Computer Science
- Experience with Agile methodologies & working with JIRA
- Experience working with browser extensions
- Comfortable writing and working with SQL/NoSQL
- Proficiency working with A/B testing & Optimizely
- Experience with gitflow
- Familiar with cloud-computing services like AWS, Google App Engine, etc.
- Great eye for design
Giving Assistant has a competitive compensation plan that includes:
- Competitive annual salary that factors location in and experience
- Stock options
- 15 days paid vacation/year, in addition to 11 company holidays
- Annual stipend for continuing education
- Stipend for working in coworking space
- Have a measurable positive impact on society
- Code challenges and contests
- 2x per year volunteer activities and company retreats in Argentina
- Yearly stipend to visit HQ in San Francisco
- Stipend for working in coworking space
- Remote office equipment and supplies
- We don’t support < IE10
Giving Assistant believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. Giving Assistant provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. We strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented minorities in tech to apply.