Back End PHP Engineer
Buenos Aires /
Engineering – Development /
Reporting to Director of Engineering
Founded in 2014, Giving Assistant is a fast growing, mission-driven, for-profit, Certified B Corporation. In just 5 years, we envision a shopping economy where giving back is easy, and every purchase makes a difference no matter where you shop. Consumers will expect and demand nothing less. The winning companies will not only offer great products, they will also invest in the social and environmental missions that matter most to their customers.
We believe shopping and giving go together. We know that consumers shop more when they support a cause they love. That's why we have committed our team, partnerships, and technology to transform the collective power of consumer shopping into a new sustainable source of giving.
Giving Assistant empowers brands to enhance the shopping experience with personalized giving as a way to help consumers create impact, with each purchase. To date, our platform has generated over $5 million in donations to tens of thousands of U.S. nonprofits.
To transform the collective power of consumer shopping into a new sustainable source of giving.
Our Core Values:
- Work Smart, Live Well
- Do More with Less
- Be a Team Player
- Uphold Integrity & Transparency
- Inspire Giving
- Own the Experience
Be part of a new wave of change taking place across industries. With Web 1.0, online replaced offline businesses. In Web 2.0, niche-focused players took on the e-commerce giants. Giving Assistant is part of the next wave, a socially responsible wave, we call it, “conscious disruption."
- Participate in all phases of the development and maintenance life cycle, focusing on speed and efficiency
- Plan and implement data structures, processes, algorithms and workflows for growth and scalability
- Help ensure and improve quality including writing integration and unit tests
- Tackle challenging problems by integrating various data sets onto a common platform
- Work with a team of engineers to bring features to our users across APIs & processing systems
- Improve and maintain the codebase (fix bugs, refactor, optimize)
- 6+ years of back end development experience with PHP
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and adaptable to various design paradigms
- Understanding of caching schemes
- Comfortable writing and working with SQL and NoSQL database systems
- Knack for writing clean, readable PHP code
- Sound knowledge of designing and exposing RESTful APIs
- Familiar with cloud-computing services like AWS, Google App Engine, etc.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Experience running high-traffic websites and strong focus on performance optimization, scalability, and reliability
- Experience with modern development and management tools like git and BitBucket
- Excellent communication skills (in English: verbal and written)
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Engineering or Computer Science
- Knowledge of PHP7/Hack/HHVM and its benefits
- Experience working as a developer in the e-commerce/affiliate industry
- Experience with Agile methodologies & working with JIRA
- Not afraid of working with Big Data concepts
- Experience with gitflow
- Devops experience
Giving Assistant has a competitive compensation plan that includes:
- Competitive annual salary that factors location in and experience
- Stock options
- 15 days paid vacation/year, in addition to 11 company holidays
- Annual stipend for continuing education
- Stipend for working in coworking space
- Have a measurable positive impact on society
- Code challenges and contests
- 2x per year volunteer activities and company retreats in Argentina
- Yearly stipend to visit HQ in San Francisco
- Remote office equipment and supplies
- We don’t support < IE10
Giving Assistant believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. Giving Assistant provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. We strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented minorities in tech to apply.