Back End Engineering Manager
San Francisco /
Engineering – Development /
Reporting to Director of Engineering
Founded in 2014, Giving Assistant is a fast growing, mission-driven, for-profit, Certified B Corporation. In just 5 years, we envision a shopping economy where giving back is easy, and every purchase makes a difference no matter where you shop. Consumers will expect and demand nothing less. The winning companies will not only offer great products, they will also invest in the social and environmental missions that matter most to their customers.
We believe shopping and giving go together. We know that consumers shop more when they support a cause they love. That's why we have committed our team, partnerships, and technology to transform the collective power of consumer shopping into a new sustainable source of giving.
Giving Assistant empowers brands to enhance the shopping experience with personalized giving as a way to help consumers create impact, with each purchase. To date, our platform has generated over $5 million in donations to tens of thousands of U.S. nonprofits.
To transform the collective power of consumer shopping into a new sustainable source of giving.
Our Core Values:
- Work Smart, Live Well
- Do More with Less
- Be a Team Player
- Uphold Integrity & Transparency
- Inspire Giving
- Own the Experience
Be part of a new wave of change taking place across industries. With Web 1.0, online replaced offline businesses. In Web 2.0, niche-focused players took on the e-commerce giants. Giving Assistant is part of the next wave, a socially responsible wave, we call it, “conscious disruption."
Your role will be key in working with our growing team providing back end support for our suite of products. You will work with the Directors of Engineering, other Engineering Managers and alongside your peers in kanban fashion to tackle engineering tasks and implementations.
As our Back End Engineering Manager, you will work very closely with your team to convert business requirements into implemented tasks. You will develop a deep understanding of the people, technologies, and practices of your team, and apply your expertise to planning, prioritization, and execution. You will support the self-development and career growth of individuals, as well as foster a supportive, inclusive, and collaborative environment in which people do their best work.
Our business is growing rapidly and presents unique, evolving challenges. You should thrive in a fast paced environment and be enthusiastic to work in a team of mission-driven entrepreneurs, including a CEO with an exit.
- Own the efficiency, growth, and delivery of a team, making sure the team is as productive as possible to complete short term and long term objectives
- Participate in recruiting, interviewing, on-boarding and development of a high performing and creative engineering team
- Manage the career path and goals of your team members, conducting regular 1-on-1s and giving feedback
- Design, build and deploy several new modules as part of our evolving platform
- Tackle challenging problems by integrating various data sets onto a common platform
- Help ensure and improve quality including writing integration and unit tests
- Improve and maintain the codebase (fix bugs, refactor, optimize)
- Work with a team of engineers to bring features to our millions of users across various projects
- Collaborate with Experience Designers & Product Managers to iterate on the design and implementation of our product
- Work with other technical leads to architect and convert business requirements into actionable tasks
- Participate in creating an effective and enjoyable engineering culture
- 5+ years of experience managing local and distributed engineering teams
- 5+ years of experience architecting and building complex data systems
- 5+ years of working on PHP applications
- 3+ years of working on enterprise graded applications
- 3+ years of experience building SaaS applications
- Proven track record of building and supporting cross-functional teams
- Experience hiring and mentoring leaders across multiple disciplines and domains
- Experience supporting, coaching, mentoring, and developing leaders
- A solid foundation in Computer Science (data structures, algorithms, object oriented software design).
- Deep experience with the design and use of complex, distributed, scalable systems using mechanisms like web service APIs, queuing systems, caching layers, etc.
- Experience building and running high-traffic websites with a strong focus on performance optimization, scalability, and reliability
- Strong database schema design and query optimization with both SQL and NoSQL DBMS
- Familiar with cloud-computing services like AWS, Google App Engine, etc.
- You enjoy Agile software development processes and tools
- You have a knack for writing clean, readable PHP code and demand the same from your team
- Experience with modern development and management tools like git and BitBucket
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Engineering or Computer Science
- Knowledge of PHP7/Hack/HHVM and its benefits
- Experience working as a developer in the e-commerce/affiliate industry
- Experience with Agile methodologies & working with JIRA
- Not afraid of working with Big Data concepts
- Devops experience
- Proficiency working with A/B testing
- Experience with gitflow
Giving Assistant has a competitive compensation plan that includes:
- A competitive annual salary that factors location in and experience
- Stock options
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Unlimited Vacation
- Paid parental leave
- Stipend for continuing education
- Have a measurable positive impact on society
- Work with a team of passionate professionals (and a few dogs!) in a new, beautiful & environmentally friendly skyscraper
- Pre-tax commuter, dependant care, and health FSAs
- Employer-sponsored 401K
- Cashback donation matching
- Quarterly company retreats and volunteer activities
- Audible membership
- Option to work from home Wednesdays and Fridays
- Weekly company social
Giving Assistant believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. Giving Assistant provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. We strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented minorities in tech to apply.