Director, People Experience
New York City, NY
Glitch and the Role.
Glitch (formerly Fog Creek Software) has a long tradition of putting people first, and we continue to innovate to make the workplace better for our people.
Now, we’re looking for a Director, People Experience who will help us elevate our commitment to being a company where employees are heard, respected, and valued. Glitch strives to learn from what hasn’t worked in the tech industry to create a new paradigm. This is a rare opportunity for an inventive, forward-thinking leader to work with a start-up eager to empower you to transform tech work culture and prove that the success of our people is synonymous with the success of Glitch.
You’ll be building on a history of innovation in serving the people who work at our company. For example, in just the past few years, we’ve implemented company-wide salary transparency, formalized a climate leave policy, open-sourced our employee handbook, and created a culture that fostered an increase in under-represented applicants and women in leadership roles within the company.
But we can do better.
Who you are.
- First and foremost, you have excellent judgment, empathy, tact, and discretion. People (regardless of position) feel comfortable sharing their problems and concerns with you.
- You have at least two years of leadership and management experience in a People Operations or Human Resources role at a high growth company and/or entrepreneurial environment.
- You have broad exposure to all aspects of a human resources department.
- You have in-depth knowledge of compensation and benefits strategy.
- You have in-depth knowledge in employee relations and professional development.
- You have experience measuring and evaluating employee performance and retaining talent.
- You are a team player and not above doing the small things to get the job done.
- You’re experienced enough to avoid common pitfalls, but are still unafraid to experiment and take new (calculated) risks.
- You have effectively built processes to support company values and employee needs.
- You have a record of success in working with distributed teams, and you relish solving the challenges this type of work environment presents.
- You have a robust understanding of what “inclusion” means in the workplace and are deeply committed to holding our company accountable to our stated standards.
- You have superior written and oral communication skills.
- You are business savvy, an active learner, and adaptable.
What you'll do.
- Be a strategic partner with the People team to develop practices and policies that support Glitch’s cultural and business objectives.
- Proactively identify and improve working conditions and work environment for workers, whether remote or in HQ
- Develop and support the coaching and professional development of our leaders and individual team members.
- Evaluate our internal People policies, aggressively learn about external best practices, and suggest innovations, improvements or new practices when warranted.
- Create, carry, and communicate Glitch values both within the company and outwardly.
- Build positive and effective relationships with our People; be a resource for our People for personnel issues.
- Assist in additional responsibilities and duties as needed (we are a start-up, after all).
Where you'll do it.
This position reports directly to the COO and is based in our office in Lower Manhattan. While our office is in New York City, about half of our employees are remote. You'll be part of a distributed work culture where all of our meetings are online and apps and tools like Slack and Google Hangouts are the default way of communicating.
We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. Compensation is $130,000 - 150,000, plus equity and we look at factors like your experience to make our offer, which comes with a comprehensive benefits package. You can learn more about our values and how we run our company by reading our public employee handbook on our Careers Page.