Hardware Reliability Engineer
Seattle, WA /
At Glowforge, we help people bring home the future and make it their own. Our printer uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. Take a look and see for yourself.
We build magical products to delight our customers, and we do it while taking care of each other. We hire people who are outstanding at what they do, who thrive in tight-knit teams, and who want to make things that make a difference.
Together, we've built a product we're incredibly proud of, and the reward has been incredible growth. We work together because we believe in the power of creativity. We believe we can bring about a future where anyone can print anything.
We'd love to have you join us!
Why We Need You
At Glowforge, we delight our customers, present and future. This is best showcased by making sure our products have the best quality and will stand the test of time.
To achieve this goal, we need to rigorously test our products to understand ways in which they can fail to meet our high-quality standards.
We need you to make this possible, and help us understand how our existing products are performing and validate the quality of our new products before we ship them to the world!
Here’s what you’ll be doing
As a Hardware Reliability Engineer, you will; develop, execute, and report on reliability performance for both our existing and new product lines. Your expertise will be on full display as you use industry standards as a guide to validate product performance.
You will lead all aspects of product reliability while closely partnering with the Glowforge Engineering teams to define and incorporate reliability specifications for our products and critical components.
As the sole owner of this job function, you will train cross functional team members in understanding reliability processes and procedures. Excellence in this position includes using data analysis techniques to present product quality risks and opportunities to colleagues across departments and external contractors.
If you are a candidate who is passionate about improving designs and processes through meticulous data analysis and attention to detail, you will thrive in this role. Our customers buy our products because they fall in love with our hardware, and that means your work will truly delight our now and future customers.
Specifically, you will be:
- Developing reliability test specifications and procedures following both established industry standards and internally developed requirements.
- Designing custom experiments and stress tests to continuously evaluate product quality and reliability
- Providing in-depth and accurate statistical analysis into potential failure mechanisms and corresponding mitigation processes
- Working with suppliers and contract manufacturers to validate the reliability of components and assemblies
You need these qualifications
- 5+ years of proven industry experience and a four-year degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial engineering, or a relevant technical field (experience in lieu of degree will be considered)
- In-depth knowledge of product design and failure mechanisms of consumer products
- Knowledge of, and practical experience of testing under industry standards such as ASTM, IEC, ANSI, ISTA
- Experience developing and performing reliability tests such as, environmental, mechanical shock and vibration, Highly Accelerated Life Testing (HALT)
It would be nice if you have...
- Excelled at a consumer hardware startup or similar rapid-growth company
- Experience using statistical software such as Minitab, and Weibull++ to estimate and evaluate time-to-failure data and product life performance
- Been part of a team that has designed, tested, and shipped consumer goods for mass production where quality, cost, and time-to-market are priorities
- Experience with electro-mechanical designs
- Experience designing custom test fixtures from scratch
In your cover letter, in addition to whatever you’d like to say, please tell us about the product or feature you’re most proud of in your portfolio. What about it makes you grin from ear to ear?
There's one more very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people with a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at email@example.com. We'd love to have you join us.