Lead Software Engineer - Backend
Crowdstar – Engineering /
CrowdStar is part of the Glu family of studios and we believe that there is a huge opportunity in interactive entertainment products for women and our goal is to build products which engage, enrich and empower them.
With our two top grossing titles, Covet Fashion and Design Home, CrowdStar has developed new ways for players to enjoy fashion and interior design. Not only are we changing how women game, we’re also changing how they discover and shop for everything from clothing to shoes, or furniture to home decor. As a team, we are passionate not only about creating fun and engaging games for women but enriching lives outside of the game.
We’re actively hiring a lead backend server developer for a new and unannounced title. The position is based in Toronto working with industry veterans in Toronto and San Francisco as one integrated team.
In this role, you will be exposed to using server technologies at scale and to building distributed systems at a very fast-paced environment. We are looking for someone that is driven by creating great game experiences and is able to apply their passion and skill toward delivering on high quality games. Do you like to challenge yourself and would take pride in delivering fun experiences to millions of players? At Glu we value learning, collaboration, experimentation and trust.
- Lead development on your team and coordinate efforts across others
- Design, implement and oversee development of backend services and pipelines
- Plan test cases with QA for upcoming features
- Identify, drive and coordinate codebase improvements
- Plan against and pivot the team for new challenges that arise during development
- Ensure performance and scalability of services
- Work with producers to drive sprint planning and task estimation
- 8+ years of professional development experience building backend services and 2+ as a lead
- Excellent working knowledge of OOP, design patterns, algorithms, and data structures
- Expertise in multiple server side languages (e.g. PHP, Python, Java) with a desire to develop in PHP
- Expertise with relational databases (e.g. MySQL), NoSQL databases (e.g. DynamoDB, Couchbase) and caching technologies (e.g. Redis)
- Expertise with modern cloud architecture (e.g. AWS)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent teamwork and problem-solving skills, flexibility, and ability to handle multiple tasks
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
- Expert knowledge of PHP and experience with PHP frameworks (e.g. Symfony, Laravel/Lumen)
- Developed back-end services for mobile apps that have millions of daily users
All qualified applicants wil
l receive consideration for employment. Glu is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. We welcome people of different backgrounds and experiences to ensure a diverse and inclusive workplace.