Boston, MA /
Investment Analysis /
Founded in 1977, GMO is a private partnership committed to delivering superior investment performance and advice to our clients. We offer strategies where we believe we are positioned to add the greatest value for our investors. These include multi-asset class portfolios as well as dedicated equity, fixed income, and absolute return offerings, many of which employ the firm’s proprietary 7-year asset class forecasting framework. Our client base is comprised primarily of institutions, including corporate and public defined benefit and defined contribution retirement plans, endowments, foundations, and financial intermediaries.
GMO, whose sole business is investment management, employs approximately 470 people worldwide and is headquartered in Boston with offices in San Francisco, London, Amsterdam, Sydney, and Singapore. We manage roughly $60 billion in client assets using a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches that blend traditional fundamental insights with innovative quantitative methods to identify undervalued asset classes and securities. Our valuation-based approach embeds several key factors, including: a long-term investment horizon, discipline, conviction, and a commitment to research. Our research emphasizes not only identifying and exploiting pricing dislocations but also understanding the long-term drivers of return in the markets in which we invest. We are known for our candor in sharing our views with clients and for our willingness to take bold, differentiated positions when opportunities warrant.
This individual will work as part of the Investment Analysis group in GMO’s Boston office. The analyst will be responsible for key performance analytics deliverables as well as supporting some of the longer-term, project-based initiatives of the group. Ownership and accountability for specific asset class coverage are critical.
- As part of the Investment Analysis team, provide detailed asset class coverage including the calculation of returns, attribution, exposure, and risk analytics.
- Develop a strong knowledge of GMO’s proprietary systems as well as third party applications such as FactSet, Aladdin, and B-One.
- Work closely with the Portfolio Management and Global Client Relations teams to help support various internal and external requests for information and reporting deliverables.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of GMO’s products and strategies, while helping to support broader marketing and client service initiatives.
- Work collaboratively as part of the team to support various projects and initiatives within the group.
- 2 - 4 years of experience in the investment management industry is required
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, math, economics or computer science preferred
- Progress towards graduate degree (MBA or MSF) and/or CFA or CIPM is a plus
- Highly motivated, with a strong interest in finance and solving complex problems
- Very strong quantitative and analytical abilities as well as attention to detail
- Strong Excel skills and the demonstrated ability and interest to learn new technology
- Prior performance, attribution and risk experience strongly preferred
- Experience with FactSet, Axioma, Aladdin, or B-One is a plus
- Working knowledge of the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS) is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently both individually and collaboratively within a team and across other functions at GMO
- Proven ability to prioritize multiple tasks, set goals and work to meet specific deadlines
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Positive attitude, professional and mature
- Willingness to take the initiative to get involved in special projects
- Additional technical skills such as SQL, Python, R, and MATLAB are a plus
GMO is currently operating in a hybrid work model with the current expectation that Investment Analysis employees are in the office two days per week (usually on Tuesday and Wednesday) and the balance of the week working either in the office or remotely (to be discussed with the candidate).