Operations and Finance Manager
San Mateo, California /
Goalbook’s mission is to empower teachers to transform instruction so that ALL students can succeed. We partner with 700 school districts across 47 states, working closely with district and school leaders to improve instructional practice. Goalbook was founded in 2011 by Daniel Jhin Yoo and Justin Su, both former teachers and administrators.
Who We’re Looking For
This role executes on essential behind-the-scenes functions of operations, finance and accounting, IT, travel, compliance, and people operations. At its core, this role functions as the glue of the company, ensuring that every team member across the country is fully supported by the organization.
This isn’t the typical operations or finance role. We’re not raising money or trying to get acquired. Rather, we are focused on building a sustainable long-term business that achieves long-term impact, and our company’s operations and finance will reflect these ideals. We are looking for someone to contribute to this work. This position is based in our San Mateo, California office as this role is required to work from the office at least twice a week or more as necessitated, while the other workdays are remote.
As a company, we have often sacrificed maximum growth in a deliberate effort to grow responsibly. We expect each manager to fully embrace our mindset around balancing impact, team culture, profitability, and growth.
· Manage 2-4 people on the Operations team and across back-office operations, including finance, IT, travel, people operations and benefits, state compliance, and insurance.
· Provide support as needed in the areas of legal, facilities, and customer support.
· Maintain the accuracy of all expense data by overseeing the monthly reconciliation of all company expenses, and forecasting future expenses.
· Meet state compliance and insurance requirements and deadlines, ensuring related tasks are completed as needed.
· Negotiate vendor contracts on behalf of the company and maintain vendor relationships.
· Scale existing operational systems and processes, and create and implement change management strategies and plans.
· Establish and enforce consistent and equitable organizational policies. Build relationships of trust with managers across teams and collaborate to improve processes.
· Limited travel is required for this role, including travel for team events.
Required Skills & Experience
· Experienced in managing direct reports
· Highly organized - you are obsessed with creating order and consistency
· Skilled in writing clearly and succinctly
· Entrepreneurial spirit and a doer - this is an extremely hands-on role
· Deep operations experience in a startup environment
· Knowledgeable, but not necessarily deep experience, in finance and accounting
· 90-120k compensation range, based on experience and location
· Full medical, dental, and vision coverage
· Safe Harbor 401k matching
· Flexible time off policy
· Goalbook Family and Medical Leave
· Goalbook Universal Basic Income
· A truly motivated, passionate, and fun team. We’re collectively interested in helping grow in your career.
Submit an application below addressed to Sarah Medal and provide a cover letter, resume, LinkedIn profile, and how you heard about us. This role is required to work from our San Mateo, California office at least twice a week or more as necessitated, while the other workdays may be remote.
For the safety of our team members and our partners, Goalbook has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees.
Goalbook is committed to building a diverse team that can understand and serve ALL students in the US public school system. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage applications from all people of diversity, including those with diverse needs, backgrounds, abilities, and other distinct characteristics.