Software Engineer, Security
San Francisco, CA /
Engineering – Software /
Forward is on a bold mission to make high quality healthcare available to a billion people across the globe. We’re building the world’s most advanced healthcare platform from the ground up, combining hardware, software and doctors under one roof. We are scaling our engineering team and looking for world-class engineers with expertise in building secure systems and infrastructure. As an early member of our security engineering team, you’ll have a key role in building the future of healthcare from first principles.
Forward was founded in January 2016 by former executives and engineering leaders from Google and Uber. We are funded by some of the world's best investors and entrepreneurs including Founder's Fund, Khosla Ventures, First Round Capital, Eric Schmidt (Google/Alphabet Chairman), Marc Benioff (Salesforce Founder), Joe Lonsdale (Palantir Founder), and Garrett Camp (Uber co-Founder).
Press and Videos:
Virtual Tour of Forward [YouTube]
Health Moves Forward [CEO Blog Post]
Series D Funding Funds Doctor-led Programs [TechCrunch]
Primary Care Start-ups Vying for 170B Market [Business Insider]
The Pivot to Virtual Care [Chief Medical Officer @ Stanford Medicine]
The Meaning of Trans Broken-Arm Syndrome [USA Today]
- Tackle problems on the boundary of software, hardware, and the real world.
- Conduct security reviews of external and internal systems, both existing and new.
- Build tools and libraries to help engineering teams find and prevent security vulnerabilities before they ship.
- Quantitatively measure and improve Forward’s security posture.
- Enable product teams to ship fast with the appropriate balance of security risks, fostering a “shift left” mindset.
- Research new attack vectors and perform penetration tests.
- Collaborate with top-flight software and hardware engineering talent from places like Google, Amazon, Nvidia, Palantir, and NASA JPL.
- Own entire projects while working alongside cross-functional teams of doctors, designers, and operators.
- You’re deeply mission-driven and want to work on an impactful product.
- You have a deep understanding of web architecture and have first-hand experience building and securing systems.
- You’re a deep security subject matter expert familiar with threat modeling, penetration testing, and incident response.
- You’re intellectually curious and stay on top of the latest technical developments in your focus area and more broadly.
- You’re a self-starter who loves to own things end-to-end. You don’t ask for permission - you’re too busy making things happen.
- You know how to make those around you better and feed off their energy. You take care of your teammates.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or direct equivalent
- 3+ years experience as a security engineer
The base salary range for this full-time position is $100,000-$220,000, plus equity and benefits. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by factors including job-related skills, experience, relevant education or training, and location.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion: We deeply understand the value of bringing together a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences, and we prioritize diversity within our team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We conform to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Information collected and processed as part of any job application you choose to submit is subject to Forward’s Privacy Notice to California Job Applicants.