Software Engineer (Backend) - Cartography
Engineering – Product Engineering /
About The Role
Gone are the days of colorless tasks and idle work routines. As Software Engineer, you will be an integral player in the Cartography team based in Indonesia. Focusing heavily on Engineering, you will work on highly scalable and reliable web systems within mapping domains in efforts to provide optimal mapping and navigation experience for our internal product teams across the region.
At Gojek, we’re bonded not only by our desire to make people’s lives easier, but our shared love of creativity. After all, a team that codes together, sticks together 👍.
What You Will Do
- Design, develop, and deploy highly performant location-based services to be used by the core Gojek businesses
- Collaborate closely with the cartography data science team to turn their models into useful and highly scalable services, with ops teams to develop features that facilitate manual curation and fine-tuning of location data, and with a variety of product and app teams across the business
- Write code that is clear, concise, performant, tested and easily understood by others
- Communicate, collaborate and work effectively across cross-functional teams in a global environment
- Ensure all code is thoroughly covered by automated tests and that all features meet quality checks before deployment
- Proactively manage stakeholder communication related to deliverables, risks, changes and dependencies
What You Will Need
- At least 2 years of hands-on experience in developing, testing and deploying large scale applications
- Hands on experience in designing, developing, testing and deploying large scale applications in any language or stack, prefer REST + JSON APIs
- Proficiency in OOP, including design patterns. Experience with functional programming is a plus
- Knowledge of Unit Testing, Integration Testing, Load/Stress Testing, and TDD (Test Driven Development)
- Experience with routing and mapping is a strong plus
- Knowledge of different databases (SQL/NoSQL) and their tradeoffs is a plus. We primarily use Redis, PostgreSQL + PostGIS, and ElasticSearch; familiarity with any is a plus
About The Team
At the heart of Gojek's businesses, we move things around. Whether that’s people, food, packages, fresh groceries, etc. Moving things around boils down to understanding the best route, understanding traffic, and understanding locations. The Cartography team is an internal team that surfaces mapping technologies needed by all internal product teams within Gojek and its subsidiaries. Examples of teams we provide for are GoRide, GoCar, GoFood, GoSend, GoShop, and GoPay.
Our Cartography Engineering team currently consists of talented product engineers based in Indonesia and Singapore. While our team is based all over the region, we are a tight-knit group who are bonded by two things: good technology and good bread 🙌. For real - our weekly conversations range from the latest breakthroughs in mobile technology to the best sourdough bread recipes out there (WFH has indeed made us into make-believe bread connoisseurs). But whether you like your bread with butter or olive oil, or stay as far away from it as possible (teach us how), we’d be stoked to have you join the fam!
Gojek is a Super App. It’s one app for ordering food, commuting, digital payments, shopping, hyper-local delivery, and dozen other products. It is Indonesia’s first and only decacorn. It's also the only Southeast Asian startup to be part of Fortune's list of 'Companies That Changed The World.'
Our Mission: To create and scale positive socio-economic impact for our customers, driver-partners, business and MSMEs.
As of 2018, Gojek processed more than $9 billion annualised gross transaction value across all markets where it operates - in Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia. We have the largest food delivery product in Asia, (outside of China), and the largest payments wallet in Southeast Asia.
Our investors include Google, Facebook, PayPal, Sequoia Capital, Tencent Holdings among others.
Gojek is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, education status, or any other legally protected status.