Lead Android Engineer - A&C Platform
Engineering – Engineering /
About the Role:
We are looking for a Lead Android Engineer who loves to tackle engineering problems like, app performance, platform tooling, and building internal frameworks for reusable code. One who has worked on a large codebase in distributed teams with more than 3 Android devs and enjoys evangelizing engineering ideas. The engineer would be working on a platform frameworks team that is accountable to provide engineering direction and building blocks to more than 100+ Android engineers.
To start with, you would be working with the Analytics and Configurations team to design, ship new features and maintain the inhouse tools built/to be built related to analytics, configurations and experimentation. You’d also be working/collaborating with different teams to define standardised ways to track events across all Gojek apps. You’ll be leading the Android side efforts in the aforementioned pod/team.
What You Will Do
- Work closely with product engineers across multiple Android apps, to unify the build standards.
- Continue pushing the limits to make sure engineers have a better experience with Android Studio.
- Measure and Identify bottlenecks in the current build system and fix it over time.
- Forecast and work towards future-proofing Android platform engineering services.
- Resolves disputes and makes tradeoffs keeping a balance between delivery and tech.
- Define and drive best engineering practices in alignment with all product groups.
What You Will Need
- At least 5+ years of mobile engineering experience with Android as primary expertise
- You are a hands-on engineer with a focus on writing easy to read code than over-engineering
- Should have worked on projects (preferably Frameworks/SDKs) that involve collaborating with multiple teams
- You are very well versed in architectural approaches, testing, and performance when it comes to building mobile apps.
- You have a passion for building scalable and composable systems that would last long
- Participating and ability to make decisions in the architecture design review.
- Prioritizes and values work that is underrated but increases the predictability, quality & throughput of delivery.
- Prioritizes work based on understanding the trade-off between quality, tech-debt, and delivery.
About the Team:
DevX: what do we do?
We are the mobile platform team at Gojek. We build small tools and standardize processes, SDKs so as product engineers can focus on Product Features. The team acts as a Center of Excellence for app performance, Mobile Security along with improving the mobile engineer's developer experience and productivity (working in teams like GoRide, GoFood, GoPay, etc).
Core areas that we focus on:
Build: We are a super app consisting of 22 products, each big enough to be a startup on its own. Apart from this, we have equally feature-rich driver and merchant apps. This pod is on a mission to evaluate build systems and migrate to it to get granular control on how we build our apps and the time required for the same. Reliability of CI infra for mobile apps and automated PR feedback are also the responsibilities of this team.
Framework: This team works on creating common frameworks, as in NetworkSDK, Gojek’s in-house Analytics and configuration SDKs, etc, which internal products use to build upon and code generators for boilerplates. The team also takes care of making sure, Gojek app performance is top-notch and industry-leading!
Gojek is a Super App. It’s one app for ordering food, commuting, digital payments, shopping, hyper-local delivery, and dozen other products. It is Indonesia’s first and only decacorn. It's also the only Southeast Asian startup to be part of Fortune's list of 'Companies That Changed The World.'
Our Mission: To create and scale positive socio-economic impact for our customers, driver-partners, business and MSMEs.
As of 2021, Gojek processed more than $9 billion annualised gross transaction value across all markets where it operates - in Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia. We have the largest food delivery product in Asia, (outside of China), and the largest payments wallet in Southeast Asia.
Our investors include Google, Facebook, PayPal, Sequoia Capital, Tencent Holdings among others.
Gojek is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, education status, or any other legally protected status.