Engineering Manager - Merchant Payments
Engineering – Product Engineering /
About the Role
If you’re looking to be a part of a dynamic, highly analytical team that enjoys building creative solutions for users, look no further. As our Engineering Manager for the Payments group, you'll take the wheel in building a high-performing team of engineers, developing innovative payment solutions, and driving the overall delivery of your team. You'll get your hands dirty in solving complex issues that blend smart technology with a customer-centric focus, and lay out the roadmap for your team to follow. In collaboration with Business and Product stakeholders, you'll shape business OKRs and plans, and oversee any stakeholder communications related to deliverables and risks within your project. The cherry on top: your efforts will contribute in redefining the payments ecosystem in Indonesia, bringing wider and more inclusive financial services to the region and beyond.
What You Will Do
- Be responsible for the design, development, quality, and delivery of initiatives for the team
- Define the technology roadmap for the team and liaison with the business teams and product managers to shape the business OKR planning
- Oversee agile delivery processes and adoption of milestone-based execution; proactively lead stakeholders communications related to deliverables and risks
- Lead and mentor your team, taking them to the next level of technical expertise and inspiring a team culture of ownership, accountability, data-based decisions, continuous improvement, and blameless retrospectives
- Collaborate across back-end, app, and QA teams, ensuring all teams are working towards a common goal
- Work with Design, Product, and Engineering streams to ensure user experience is kept at the forefront; work with engineers to scale up the systems while being frugal with resources; be responsible for the adoption of solutions within your team
- Research and identify emerging technologies to define long-term engineering initiatives
- Develop a collaborative & innovative culture that solves business problems with disruptive tech solutions
What You Will Need
- At least 10 years of experience in software development and delivery, with in-depth knowledge of software architectures; must have at least 2 years of experience in leading small and mid-sized development teams
- Strong systems design experience, having scaled distributed systems/microservices in products; experience going through the full software cycle: designing, coding/testing, and rolling out best practices in delivering world-class software and services
- Solid programming skills in Go, Java, or similar technologies; a track record and passion for improving the code structure and architecture to enhance testability and maintainability
- Excellent people/leadership skills to grow and guide your team members; a passion for your team's mission and a self-starting personality to make things happen
- Team development skills: ability to set a roadmap and goals for a team and every one of its members, delegate intelligently, offer engineering advice, deliver frequent and transparent feedback, work with team members to grow in their careers, and ensure everyone delivers quality results
- A problem-solving and analytical mindset with a proven track record of responding effectively to customer situations
- A strong command over the technology ecosystem with the ability to learn and integrate the latest trends within the field
- Great project management skills to lead and juggle multi-engineer projects and deliver high-quality projects on time
About the Team
As Nasi Goreng is to the people of Indonesia, our Payments Engineering team is to Gojek: providing the nourishment to sustain our business from the inside out. We run and oversee one of Southeast Asia's largest merchant platforms, e-money wallet platforms, and Indonesia's leading digital payments provider. Some of the businesses we empower include Tokopedia, Google, Disney+, McDonald's, Blibli, Jd.id, and Kitabisa.
Our service is now accepted at over 300,000 online and offline merchants in Indonesia alone, with our ecosystem processing US$6.3 billion of annualized Gross Transaction Value in 2018. But, the growth of Payments does not stop here. We are hungry for more. We intend to become the largest payment and financial services group in Southeast Asia. It's our job to ensure that this number grows, and more importantly, that anyone utilizing our platform is given the most seamless payment experience possible. How does one achieve this, you may ask? By collaborating diligently with our users to understand the daily obstacles they face in the payment arena, then crafting our products and services to aid these issues.
As a team, we’re concerned not only with the growth of the company, but each other’s personal and professional growths, too. Along with a common drive to jump over technical barriers and provide sustainable solutions, our team bonds over our shared love for tea, movies, and TV shows. With WFH becoming more normalized, you best believe we’ve been sharing our favorite ways to prioritize a healthy work-life balance at home (Netflix, anyone?😜).
Gojek is a Super App. It is one app for ordering food, commuting, digital payments, shopping, hyper-local delivery, and a dozen other products. We are Indonesia’s first decacorn. We are also the only Southeast Asian startup to be part of Fortune's list of 'Companies That Changed The World.'
Our Mission: To create and scale positive socio-economic impact for our customers, driver-partners, business, and MSMEs.
As of 2018, Gojek processed more than $9 billion in annualized gross transaction value across all markets where it operates - in Singapore, Vietnam, and Indonesia. We have the largest food delivery product in Asia (outside of China) and is the largest payments wallet in Southeast Asia.
Gojek contributed IDR 249 T to the Indonesian economy (equivalent to 2% of Indonesia's GDP in 2020). As of Q1 2021, the Gojek App witnessed over 190mn downloads by customers. The platform has over 2mn Driver Partners & ~900000 Merchant Partners across SEA.
About GoTo Financial
GoTo Financial brings secure, reliable, and user-friendly financial solutions to over 55 million monthly active users, more than 14 million merchants, and over 2.5 million driver-partners eager to benefit from the digital economy in the GoTo ecosystem.
GoTo Financial’s consumer services include GoPay, GoPayLater, and other financial services. We also serve businesses of all sizes through leading payment gateway Midtrans, Indonesia’s largest cloud POS network Moka and GoKasir. We also have the all-in-one merchant solution GoBiz, GoBiz Plus, GoStore, and Selly - available in Indonesia and Southeast Asia.
Gojek and GoTo Financial are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and are equal opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, education status, or any other legally protected status.