(Senior) Backend Engineer (all genders)
Hamburg EN /
Live Games /
Joining the Live Games Team
We’re focused on one mission: to make our successful MMO games technologically fit for 2021 and beyond.
Our teams pull off daring and courageous things, like writing our own transpiler to migrate hundreds of thousands of lines of code from Flash to TypeScript - and then rolling that out to a global, highly engaged player base, successfully. No-one has done this before us, definitely not at this scale.
We’ve moved almost all of our critical infrastructure to AWS; we run Lambda functions written in node.js in production, while also feeding our huge Java monolith that just kept growing over the years. We integrate React and Vue apps into our legacy Flash games; we mix and match and build for the future, while respecting our past.
Clearly this isn’t for everyone. It’s for the daring, the creative, the out-of-the-box-thinkers, the experienced, the multi-linguists, the curious, the getting-sh*-done-ers. If you think you’re one of them, you may have found your new home. Come join us.
You will be sharing the ownership of the technical design and implementation of new and existing Web-based features that run on millions of desktop and mobile devices all over the world, 24/7/365; specifically, you will work on the ongoing development of our engaging in-game shop experience.
Working with a small and focused team, you establish and implement practices and processes that guarantee a consistently high level of quality (linting, testing, deployment, CI/CD). You empower internal and external developers to create new Web-based features by providing them with clean APIs and guidance. Automate all the things! We have made a lot of headway into automating major parts of build/deployment/monitoring/alerting/recovery, but we still need more. Our end goal is having fully autonomous systems, you - together with current DevOps engineers - will help us get there, faster!
- You have a strong software engineering background and can demonstrate your experience writing real, end-user facing production code with actual load and uptime requirements. Experience here means heavy involvement in designing the solution and an active role coding it.
- You’re capable of provisioning an entire functioning system from start to finish, using configuration management tools.
- You enjoy designing REST APIs, documenting them with OpenAPI, and implementing them in asynchronous, functional Node.js.
- Relevant years of hands-on experience with backend development in Node.js, including AWS Lambda, Google Cloud Functions or similar; experience with Serverless Framework is a plus.
- Experience with cloud services like AWS or Google Cloud (Lambda, DynamoDB, S3, Cloudfront, etc)
- Experience creating and shipping plugin framework is a very strong plus.
Why join us
- You join a supportive team in a pragmatic, yet challenging environment, with short communication processes and flat hierarchies, perfect for growing your skills.
- You will be working with multidisciplinary colleagues from the entire production lifecycle, developing and operating two very successful free-to-play games on mobile and web.
- The team has many years of experience with live operations and a long-term strategy that keeps the players' excitement and engagement in mind.
- Yet we are not set in our ways. We value employee contribution and you can have a real impact on the way we develop and operate our games.
- While it's critical to keep our games running 24/7, we take work-life balance very seriously: We're proud to say that crunch-time is a very rare exception.
During this difficult time of the Covid-19 pandemic, the safety of our employees and everyone else is of utmost importance to us which is why we switched to a solely virtual recruiting process and are offering our employees to work remotely from anywhere within Germany. We are still hiring and happy to receive your application in English (cover letter, CV, references, degree)!
Your contact person for this job offer is Juliane Voigtländer.
Goodgame Studios is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage and support diversity and welcome all qualified applications.
Goodgame Studios is a leading free-to-play, online games development company. We operate across web and mobile platforms and cater to over 500 million registered users worldwide. With a rich talent pool of employees from more than 40 nations, we are among the largest German employers in the gaming software industry. Our aim is clear: We want to entertain millions of players around the world with our games, therefore we joined the Stillfront AB in 2018. Stillfront AB is a group of independent creators, publishers and distributors of digital games - with a vision to become the leading group of indie game creators and publishers.