Investor - Korea
Research – Investments /
Goodwater team members are passionate about empowering the next generation of great consumer tech entrepreneurs through our expanding investment platform. You will have the opportunity to impact the entire spectrum of our investment process, including:Investment thesis developmentSourcingDue diligence and primary researchDeal executionPortfolio company support
What makes you a good fit for the Goodwater investment team
You are passionate about consumer tech: We believe consumer technology is the single biggest driver of change on Earth, shaping global culture and transforming the global economy in unprecedented ways. Our team members thrive in the world of apps and internet services that impact the lives of millions of consumers. Your passion emanates in conversations with founders and is reflective of our mission.
You are service-oriented: Venture capital is fundamentally a service business and we exist to serve and support our portfolio companies.
You are entrepreneurial: Similar to our portfolio companies, Goodwater is a fast-growing venture firm and requires team members who are builders and like to get their hands dirty.
You love research: Investing is all about seeking the truth and you are self-motivated to find creative and structured methods to uncover insights that will drive our investment decisions.
You are truth-seeking: We embrace the mantra “strong opinions, loosely held.” Investors who thrive at Goodwater are comfortable pushing back against a (near) consensus decision, and celebrate when their own point-of-view is challenged. Data is likely your favorite currency.
You embrace investing as a team sport: You don’t focus on who sources a deal, or who was the first to identify a trend. Instead, you use every opportunity to put your best foot forward as a team and are excited to pitch in whether it’s for a live deal, prep for a board meeting, or synthesizing findings for an LP.
- Deep domain expertise (or a demonstrable passion) in one or more consumer technology sectors (e.g. social, fintech, commerce, healthtech, edtech, proptech, etc.).
- 2+ years of strategy consulting or investment banking (experience involving end-customer research and/or financial modeling).
- 2+ years at an investment firm, such as a venture capital or growth equity firm (significant experience developing investment theses, conducting due diligence, and executing deals).
- 2+ years of operating experience (e.g. growth, product management, business operations) at a consumer tech startup (experience building new consumer tech products, learning about customer needs, and helping to find product-market fit and scale an early business model).
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills in Korean and English. You regularly build strong relationships with company executives and can communicate equally well internally.
- MBA or graduate degree is strongly preferred.
- Investment sector thought leadership and coverage.
- Ability to quarterback the deal process end-to-end.
- Articulate and direct all key diligence processes.
- Represent Goodwater effectively from the first meeting all the way through to final close, including with external stakeholders (management team, co-investors, legal counsel).
- Shadow as a board observer and help support and advise portfolio companies.
- Drive results on the investment team.
About Goodwater CapitalThe mission of Goodwater Capital is to empower exceptional entrepreneurs everywhere to change the world for good. We invest globally in companies building products and services that consumers can't imagine their lives without. We are excited to see entrepreneurs pioneering powerful new platforms to serve consumers across financial services, healthcare, food, education, transportation, entertainment, and housing. We have been honored to invest in and help build successful companies including Chegg (CHGG), Coupang (CPNG), Facebook (FB), Kakao, Monzo, Musical.ly (acquired by Bytedance), Stash, Spotify (SPOT), Toss, Twitter (TWTR), Weee!, and Xendit. With over $3.3 billion of committed capital across our 9 funds, Goodwater is the largest venture capital firm in the world focused exclusively on consumer tech.