Associate, Early Stage Investments
Burlingame, CA /
Research – Investments /
Goodwater is looking for an Associate to join our early-stage consumer tech investing team.
Goodwater team members are passionate about empowering the next generation of great consumer tech companies through our expanding investment platform. You will have the opportunity to impact the entire spectrum of our investment process, including:
Investment thesis development
Due diligence and primary research
Portfolio company support
What makes you a good fit for the Goodwater investment team:
- You love research: Investing is all about seeking the truth and you are self-motivated to find creative and structured methods to uncovering insights that will drive our investment decisions.
- You are entrepreneurial: Similar to our portfolio companies, Goodwater is a fast-growing venture firm and requires team members who are builders and like to get their hands dirty.
- You are service-oriented: Venture capital is fundamentally a service business and we exist to serve and support our portfolio companies.
- You are passionate about consumer technology: 140 character tweets, vertical e-commerce, the “disruption of institutionalized industries” such as healthcare and finance – our team members live and thrive in the world of apps and internet services that impact the day to day lives of consumers. Your passion emanates in conversations with founders and is reflective of our mission.
- You are truth-seeking: We embrace the mantra “strong opinions, loosely held.” Investors who thrive at Goodwater are comfortable pushing back against a (near) consensus decision, and celebrate when their own point-of-view is challenged. Data is likely your favorite currency.
- You embrace investing as a team-sport: You don’t focus on who sources a deal, or who was the first to identify a trend. Instead, you use every opportunity to put your best foot forward as a team and are excited to pitch in whether it’s for a live deal, prep for a board meeting, or synthesizing findings for an LP.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience
- e.g. 2+ years at a technology company or startup (experience building new consumer tech products, learning about customer needs, and helping to find product-market fit and scale an early business model)
- e.g. 2+ years at an investment firm, such as a hedge fund, private equity and/or venture capital firm (significant exposure to developing investment theses, conducting due diligence, and making investments)
- e.g. 2+ years of consulting or investment banking (level of professional experience involving end-customer research and/or financial modeling)
- Very strong written, communication, and public speaking skills. You regularly build strong relationships with entrepreneurs, and can communicate equally well internally.
- MBA or graduate degree strongly preferred
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
It's also worth noting that we encourage anyone to apply that may be interested, even if you feel you don't meet 100% of the qualifications above. We acknowledge that we have overlooked or over-indexed on some of these requirements. So, please – apply!
Goodwater is proud of our commitment to a set of core values -- Integrity, Transparency, Quality, Service, Humility, and Justice. We place a premium on diversity of ideas and are excited to add new perspectives to our team.
The mission of Goodwater Capital is to empower exceptional entrepreneurs who are changing the world. We are 100% focused on consumer tech, an area that we define simply as apps and services adopted directly by consumers.
We were founded on the belief that we are experiencing an explosion of new consumer-driven opportunities in communications, community, and commerce. We are excited to see great entrepreneurs pioneering powerful new platforms to serve consumers across a broad range of industries including local services, marketplaces, health care, education, financial services, and wearables… just to name a few.
Goodwater manages over $1B across several venture capital funds with a portfolio of over 40 companies spanning 11 countries around the world.