Engineering – Automation /
Gorgias helps Ecommerce companies deliver excellent customer service at scale.
Our product creates an unified profile of customers by combining emails, live-chat, and social-media messages with Ecommerce data such as purchase and delivery info.
Combining all this data in a single application makes customer service more efficient and just better. Another fortunate side-effect is that some requests are completely automated using ML. 💬 + 📦 = ❤️
We've been around since 2015, and we're currently serving over 5000+ Ecommerce businesses, including Steve Madden, Timbuk2, and Fjällräven.
Is working with a real-world application that touches the lives of millions, your thing? Then yeah, Gorgias is for you.
👩💻 What are some of the things we work on?
The backend code is mostly written in Python3 and runs using Flask (REST API) and Celery for all background work. The state is stored in PostgreSQL and RabbitMQ for async tasks with Redis for ephemeral storage, and finally, everything runs on top of Kubernetes.
Given the above, we usually work on one of these levels by improving the existing API, improve performance, or we create a new feature which more often than not has a component on both backend, and maybe a migration in the database or a maintenance command.
🧙 Who are we at work?
We have a strong preference for people who worked with high-traffic web applications for the past 3+ years. We're essentially running a distributed system that has lots of moving parts and having a decent amount of experience with this type of system helps a lot!
Additionally, our apps have over 20k daily active users with sessions longer than 6h+/day and serve tens of millions end consumers per year, so we put great importance on quality, testing, and code-review of all our code. Some services that we're running have big codebases, and we have to feel comfortable about navigating and progressively improving them. Sometimes, however, we gotta and figure out why the 10Tb+ DB is slow or why some k8s pod is not running correctly, figure out how to successfully retry a failing API request, etc... The end goal is to hide a lot of complexity from the user and make their life easier.
If this is the type of environment you're looking for, then you should consider applying.
About the Automation team
- The automation team at Gorgias is composed of 5 engineers: 3 machine learning engineers and 2 full-stack engineers. It is our dedicated machine learning team that releases ML products in production
- Among the features, we have phrase prediction, intent classification, macro suggestion, Rules, and Macros. They do regular team discussions to help each other and share ideas; collaboration, coachability, and a strong sense of curiosity are key to be successful in this team
- The automation team also works closely with the Core and Integrations team. Specifically, some machine learning features are consumed by the helpdesk using a microservice system so they often need to "connect" with the dev team to make the endpoints match
- In joining this team, you will have the opportunity to help automate a lot of customer service by helping over 5000 customers
What You'll Do
- Work closely with senior management and product team on setting team goals and delivering them on time
- Partner with senior engineers to drive good practices around code quality, reliability, monitoring, and security
- You're expected to manage a team of up to 10 engineers, so there won't be a lot of time to do IC work, but having the ability to dive into details from time to time is a great skill to have
- You are passionate about learning and want to help us learn too
- You believe that coach-ability is key in a team, no matter the level of experience
- You care about working on applications that are putting the customer needs first
- You are comfortable communicating with other technical teams and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, demo work in progress and provide project updates
- You have the drive and focus to get challenging projects over the finish line, and you are comfortable advocating for what you need to do your best work
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment
Nice to Have
- You have developer experience in ML or worked on ML/AI projects.
Company Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary, equity packages, and performance bonus packages
- 5 weeks of vacation and parental leave
- Latest MacBook Pro or equivalent
- Natural sunlight and open office with lounge area
- Relocation package
- Complementary health coverage (Mutuelle)
- 50% of public transportation expenses
- Free lunch x5 a week
Why join us
- 🚀 Join a high growth tech startup at a crucial time, and with an unusually technical growth team
- 💡 Apply your engineering skills to concrete business problems: help-desk & support
- 🙏 Join a company where automation, good & clean data are core beliefs shared by all
Engineering Team Culture
Getting Stuff Done, Ownership, Team Work, Excellence, and Agility.
You should join us if you want to ship stuff fast without sacrificing quality. We've put great importance on testing our code, cleaning it, treating errors first, and features later.
We also value growth and ownership. People make mistakes. We learn from them to avoid them in the future. We cannot achieve excellence if there are no bumps in the road.