Software Engineer, Tools and efficiency
San Francisco, Austin, or Remote /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
About the Role
The Tools and Quality team is a brand new function within our engineering team. You will be the first hire of the team. This team will be dedicated to develop test tools and create processes which will make our engineering teams more efficient. As a Software engineer, you will be responsible for creating efficient and robust test frameworks and CI/CD pipelines which will help developers with their testing efforts.
- Participate and lead strategy and design sessions involving key technology and framework.
- Define automation strategies that support ongoing test strategies for new and existing features
- Partner with the engineering team to integrate test suites into the continuous integration system
- Collaborate with the Customer Support team to understand common issues and incorporate them into new test scenarios
- Effectively communicate the quality of the product through meaningful metrics
- 2+ years of automation experience
- Have a QA mindset to enable Software developers achieve and track system and functionality test
- Create tactical and adaptable automated test frameworks for web applications or other software.
- Primarily develop in Python/Go and also be responsible for setting up initial infrastructure for QA environment
- Be comfortable to whip up quick scripts to automate tasks, such as generating metrics, establishing traceability etc. when necessary.
- You will be developing and maintaining tools that support cross-functional teams that adhere to a High Assurance Process.
- Help to foster a test-driven engineering culture that drives improvements in quality.
- Experience with working in a Agile environment and CI/CD driven testing culture
- Detailed-oriented and a passion for quality & strong customer focus.
- Excellent communicator, verbal and written
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Benefits & Perks
- Healthcare coverage for medical, dental, and vision (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents)
- Take-as-much-as-you-need vacation policy + flexible work hours
- Fun team events outside of work hours
- Awesome people that care about Shippo's mission, product and team
- $2,500 annual budget for professional development