Senior Engineering Manager
Austin, TX /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
About the Role
As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will manage multiple Agile Engineering teams to deliver capabilities and features in Shippo’s SaaS shipping platform. You will work closely with senior Engineering leadership and other Engineering managers to scale the organization through thoughtful hiring, training, and review practices. You will also work closely with Product team members in a collaborative manner consistent with Agile principles. You will be instrumental in helping to build and maintain a healthy and happy engineering team culture.
- Recruit, hire and lead a high-performing Agile engineering team
- Lead multiple engineering teams in the implementation and maintenance of Shippo’s SaaS shipping platform, including core product, third party integrations, and overall experience
- Work closely with product management, analysts, architects, engineering leads, and business stakeholders to define requirements, guide product and architectural vision, lead key technical and design discussions, prioritize work, and deliver sound, high-quality solutions
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering leaders to ensure continuous alignment of team skill and personnel allocation against business priorities
- Advise business leaders by providing data-based strategic direction to identify and address business issues and opportunities
- Encourage innovation, drive focus on high-quality, foster an environment of continuous improvement, establish a sense of urgency, and set expectations with the team and individuals
- Mentor and coach team members, guide their career development, and provide timely feedback
- Plan and coordinate technical training and skills development for team members
- Play a key role in developing and implementing Shippo’s technology roadmap
- Assist Engineering Leadership in developing Shippo’s long-term technical strategy
- 4+ years of engineering management experience in an Agile environment
- 7+ years of software development experience at increasing levels of responsibility
- Demonstrated experience recruiting and building high performing Agile teams
- Proven track record building distributed, large-scale, SaaS enterprise systems
- Experience with a wide range of software technologies, methodologies, and solutions
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal, written, presentation, and interpersonal)
- Deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success
- Strong belief in Agile values and principles, process innovation, and continuous improvement
- Experience with server-side programming languages (e.g. Go, Java, Python, Node), server-side frameworks (e.g. Django, .NET, Spring, Rails, Phoenix), front end frameworks (e.g. React, Angular, Ember), Cloud Infrastructure (e.g. AWS, GCP), APIs (e.g. REST, SOAP)
- Start-up experience and entrepreneurial spirit
- Experience with eCommerce platforms
- Competitive medical, dental, vision, (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents), 401(k), and pets coverage
- Competitive total compensation package plus stock options
- Flexible PTO + work hours
- 12 Company-paid holidays
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 yearly learning stipend for your personal growth