Senior Software Engineer - Platform
San Francisco, CA /
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
About the Role
We are looking for a senior engineer to be part of our Platform team. This team is responsible for key parts of our shipping platform, and manages the infrastructure used by other Shippo engineering teams. The Platform team is spearheading the migration from our monolith into Golang microservices and works to make the entire engineering organization more effective.
- Design, implement, test, and deploy software services with high SLAs and that can handle millions of requests a day
- Ensure scalability and maintainability through microservices adoption, decoupling of concerns and data model, queuing of jobs and application layering
- Architect and manage secure, scalable infrastructure using Kubernetes to support our use cases
- Continue to build out and enhance our CI/CD pipeline for smooth and safe production releases via automated testing and verification
- Verify and ensure performance and correctness of systems in response time and throughput
- Design and maintain database schema for large scale and performant services
- Participate in peer reviews and testing and contribute to automated test suites and in design reviews for new features, products, and systems
- Participate in an on-call rotation
- Coding experience in server-side programming languages (e.g. Go, Python, Java) as well as database languages (SQL)
- Experience developing, managing and troubleshooting highly available distributed systems
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success
- Interest in performance tuning, concurrency, microservices, and security
- 3+ years of experience in software development
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with the Go programming language
- Experience with the Django framework
- Experience migrating high-volume real-time systems
- Familiarity with containers and orchestration (Kubernetes) at scale
- Deep expertise with at least one public cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Familiarity with cloud-native technologies, e.g.Service Meshes, API Gateways etc.
- Benefits: medical, dental, vision, (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents), and pets coverage
- Flexible PTO + work hours
- Dog are welcomed in the office
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 yearly learning stipend for your personal growth
- Free lunch / drinks / snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape room” adventures, hikes, and more!